March 2012 No-Buy Support!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so tomorrow I'm returning my Clarisonic and the brush heads I got for it to Sephora (used it for 2 months and it left me with tons and tons of acne...my skin is AWFUL now), and if I am able to return it, I'm pretty sure I'll only be able to get store credit since my mom bought it for me as a gift. 

Sooo...if I pick up a few items with store credit, does it count against the no-buy since I wouldn't actually be paying for anything? :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's pretty tough. I would say save it for next month. We need to exercise CONTROL. It may not necessarily be the amount of money we're spending on products, but instead the amount of control we have when we're surrounded by awesome goodness haha

Today I went to the MAC counter and tried on the nail polishes, lipstick  and lipgloss from the Chen collection and I didn't buy a single thing. BUT i have to admit that I did go into the actual MAC store afterwards, and purchased a blush pallet to depot. That doesn't really count tho since it's considered as organizing supplies :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also purchased three pairs of shoes, two dresses and a cute little pineapple necklace all from H&M. Considering that it was from H&M the bill wasn't bad at all :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I shall post pics soon

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, so tomorrow I'm returning my Clarisonic and the brush heads I got for it to Sephora (used it for 2 months and it left me with tons and tons of acne...my skin is AWFUL now), and if I am able to return it, I'm pretty sure I'll only be able to get store credit since my mom bought it for me as a gift. 

Sooo...if I pick up a few items with store credit, does it count against the no-buy since I wouldn't actually be paying for anything? :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good point! I might see if there is a good acne/corrective system, considering the havoc that thing wreaked on my skin. I need that a heck of a lot more than makeup! 

And you should post your haul from H&M! I adore their stuff. 

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's pretty tough. I would say save it for next month. We need to exercise CONTROL. It may not necessarily be the amount of money we're spending on products, but instead the amount of control we have when we're surrounded by awesome goodness haha

Today I went to the MAC counter and tried on the nail polishes, lipstick  and lipgloss from the Chen collection and I didn't buy a single thing. BUT i have to admit that I did go into the actual MAC store afterwards, and purchased a blush pallet to depot. That doesn't really count tho since it's considered as organizing supplies :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also purchased three pairs of shoes, two dresses and a cute little pineapple necklace all from H&M. Considering that it was from H&M the bill wasn't bad at all :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I shall post pics soon

Depends on what your parameters are and WHY you're doing a no buy. For example, I won't buy a palette for depotting because in MY rules, that's a beauty tool and needs to wait. OTOH, since I'm just trying to curb my impulsiveness and spending....I have no problems with using up ECBs since they will expire by the end of the month anyway. Everyone sets their own rules, IMHO--one gal may just say "no makeup", another (like me) may say "no makeup/skincare/haircare/nail polish/tools"

The main reason I'm doing a no-buy is because I really need to cut back on the spending that I do. Holy moly do I need to save up some money! School ain't cheap. Cutting back on my collection is another goal. I think if I get store credit, I'm going to hang onto it until after the no-buy is over, maybe only buying some skincare stuff to heal the damage that's been done. 

Thanks for helping talk me out of it everyone! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Depends on what your parameters are and WHY you're doing a no buy. For example, I won't buy a palette for depotting because in MY rules, that's a beauty tool and needs to wait. OTOH, since I'm just trying to curb my impulsiveness and spending....I have no problems with using up ECBs since they will expire by the end of the month anyway. Everyone sets their own rules, IMHO--one gal may just say "no makeup", another (like me) may say "no makeup/skincare/haircare/nail polish/tools"

I'm glad you've clarified FOR YOURSELF why you're doing what you're doing--my advice woulda been to hang on to the credit for when you are feeling itchy to spend, you know? Like, ok, right now? I'm sitting here making one HELL of a list of stuff I want. I fully expect that by the time my no buy is over, I won't want half of it. And that's a GOOD thing.

I do that all the time on Sephora! I usually add in a ton of stuff, forget about it for about a month, and then I go back and I'm like, "really? Why the hey did I want this?" and then it gets deleted off the wishlist. There have been a couple of items that have been on there for months and they haven't been deleted. I'm guessing there will really only be a handful of items that are still gonna be on my wishlist by the time September rolls around. I think if in the past if I had waited at least a month before purchasing a product to see if I still wanted it, my collection would be a hell of a lot smaller than it is now. That should probably actually be a rule I put in place once this no-buy is over to help keep things under control... :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm glad you've clarified FOR YOURSELF why you're doing what you're doing--my advice woulda been to hang on to the credit for when you are feeling itchy to spend, you know? Like, ok, right now? I'm sitting here making one HELL of a list of stuff I want. I fully expect that by the time my no buy is over, I won't want half of it. And that's a GOOD thing.

For my no buy-an attempt to spend less money-I would use the gift card. But I agree with Calexxia, save it for when you are super desperate!

I think I will! Or maybe I'll use it on my one item a month, so that way I still get my one item, but I don't actually have to pay out of pocket for it! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For my no buy-an attempt to spend less money-I would use the gift card. But I agree with Calexxia, save it for when you are super desperate!

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ok, I've got to be honest. I am going to be on a no buy for March but...I've already placed several hautelook orders of cosmetics and an ELF order that will be delivered in March. Which should make it easier, but for the last few months I've pretty much been getting a package a day or going to ulta...and now...idk how I'll survive. 

NOT TO GET ALL THERAPY ON YOU GUYS BUT: 

this all intensified and became so much worse when my boyfriend broke up with me in the middle of January. 
icon_frown.gif
  I blame him for my addiction.
Oh, Jenna, I'm so sorry about the BF.  I've been there and it's horrible. And you could find a lot worse things to indulge in than makeup. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm trying to cut back on the buying, too. Other than my many subs, I'm going to stop buying any other beauty this month.

I do have 2 Bloom.com orders coming in, but that's it for March.

It's comical when I'm with friends and I take out my little (to me!) purse makeup bag for touch-up items, and someone says "Wow, you have a lot of makeup!".  I just have to laugh because that is just the tip on the tip of the iceberg.

That's a great idea! I'll choose a foundation or tinted moisturizer because most other items last too long and a wouldn't want to be stuck wearing the same lippie, eye shadow or blush every day.

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think to add to my no buy, I am going to try to use up one cosmetic item each month. No idea what it would be but I am going to try!

High five!  I don't know if I could be that strong.  I'll use the drive thru in March when I pick up my meds.

Originally Posted by Pancua /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had to go to Wal-Greens today to get my passport photo done and managed to stay away from the cosmetic department.

I think for this month, my challenge is going to be no-repeats on blush, illuminators, eyeshadows, and lippies. There are a few items that I just keep on reaching for, so if I don't use a product more than twice a week, some neglected items in my stash will get some love, too!

So, yeah, on Facebook, I made what I called a "Lemming List", which is a list of the various beauty products I need/want. I picked up several of those things today--all with ECBs, so NOT violating my rule for myself! Of course, now I'm down to $8 in ECBs, since the cashier was pissy about ringing the beauty items seperately and didn't want to let me count through and sort out which amount of ECBs I needed for those purchases. Oh well.

What I AM finding out, already, is how frequently I was buying stuff just because it was on sale or was different from something I already had, even if I wasn't sure I'd use it. That way lies madness. I think keeping this list will help me in the future. But DANG I dunno how I'ma make it till April, even! 

this may be a dumb question, but what are ECBs?

So, yeah, on Facebook, I made what I called a "Lemming List", which is a list of the various beauty products I need/want. I picked up several of those things today--all with ECBs, so NOT violating my rule for myself! Of course, now I'm down to $8 in ECBs, since the cashier was pissy about ringing the beauty items seperately and didn't want to let me count through and sort out which amount of ECBs I needed for those purchases. Oh well.

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

this may be a dumb question, but what are ECBs?
Extra Care Bucks, a couponing program of CVS

One thing I've found myself doing is trying to create a need for things that I don't typically use. How often do I use lip liner? Or shimmery body lotion? NEVER. I think I'm trying to create these new needs because I already want to buy something, plus it feels kinda weird to not be buying something. A lot of ugly things about my shopping habits are beginning to surface (and we're 4 days into a no-buy, sheesh), and I'm already trying to work out in my head how I need to deal with these things long-term.

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One thing I've found myself doing is trying to create a need for things that I don't typically use. How often do I use lip liner? Or shimmery body lotion? NEVER. I think I'm trying to create these new needs because I already want to buy something, plus it feels kinda weird to not be buying something. A lot of ugly things about my shopping habits are beginning to surface (and we're 4 days into a no-buy, sheesh), and I'm already trying to work out in my head how I need to deal with these things long-term.
Yeah, me, too. About the psychology of it and stuff. And I feel ya about all of a sudden urging for stuff that I KNOW I don't have any intention of using.

Over the next few days, my goals are:

• Pare down and organize my wardrobe
  • Assess what wardrobe items I realistically need and do not have
  • Set up a beauty maintenance schedule (including pampering and time for research)
  • Pare down and organize my beauty items
  • Set up a list of those beauty items I realistically need

Key word in all of this...realistic. I'm trying to keep myself busy ENJOYING the things that I have so that I'm not tempted to go out and accumulate MORE things. (This should probably include reading and watching movies, too. I was shocked when I realized I've accumulated about a hundred books that I have yet to read).

I think the only thing really keeping me at bay is the fact that I leave for a 10 day camping trip on Saturday so I've been so busy with finishing projects and packing. I have to wonder what will happen once I'm back.

I need to do all this too, and I really need to organize everything so I can easily access it. I have so much stuff that is in a box of random stuff, laying underneath another box, and it's all shoved to the very back of a cabinet. Cutting down on the amount of crap in general that I have is going to be a major goal for 2012. I always get so jealous when I visit people's homes and they have a very minimalist space--I want that in my life!

Yeah, me, too. About the psychology of it and stuff. And I feel ya about all of a sudden urging for stuff that I KNOW I don't have any intention of using.

Over the next few days, my goals are:

• Pare down and organize my wardrobe
  • Assess what wardrobe items I realistically need and do not have
  • Set up a beauty maintenance schedule (including pampering and time for research)
  • Pare down and organize my beauty items
  • Set up a list of those beauty items I realistically need

Key word in all of this...realistic. I'm trying to keep myself busy ENJOYING the things that I have so that I'm not tempted to go out and accumulate MORE things. (This should probably include reading and watching movies, too. I was shocked when I realized I've accumulated about a hundred books that I have yet to read).

Latest posts

Back