Mineral makeup primer

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, if you're on a budget, you really can't beat the Monistat stuff. It's around $6.50 a tube and you get a lot of product for the money.

I don't really want to consider Monistat, because I'm trying to go towards more natural ingredients. Anyone else know about using aloe vera as a primer?

i've been using aloe vera (Jasons) the past couple of weeks as a primer for my very oily skin. It's very light and not greasy just make sure you let it dry well before applying your mmu. It doesn't break me out and somehow makes the mmu last longer. HTH.

im bidding for some Laura Geller Speckle Primer at the moment after reading the reviews on here.

im new to MMU & didnt realise a primer was needed, so i'll se how i go!

i looked up the Monistat gel & it came up with "intimate" gel - is that what you guys are talking about?

i have tried jane iredale's mineral primer, but was unimpressed. it seemed more appropriate for people with oily skin, which is not me. i did want a primer to help make pores look smaller and to that extent this product worked somewhat. i did not like the way the minerals sat on the primer though and was ultimately disappointed.

in general, i think that silicone based primers (smashbox, monistat etc.) do not work well with mineral foundations. the non silicone bases work better -- like mercier or nars, but the naturalness is defeated. tough call ~

f.

Just an FYI if any of you are interested in trying the Monistat gel I have a tube I tired once & like my silica powder better. First person to PM me I will send it to them I dont wanna waste the money by throwing it away Id rather someone else be able to use it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by geminisc /img/forum/go_quote.gif No problem. Good luck!
After reading the thread, I am unsure if I want to stay with the supermarket brand. So we shall see. I might go back to oils when my GoW order comes in. In the meantime, my primer from Jen (Camellia Rose Primer) arrived in the mail today.

Guess what I'll be doing tonight? *wicked gleam in eye*

Hey there, geminisc!
I'm in Brisbane and I was wondering if you could give me an idea of GoW's S&H charges. By the way, I've been enjoying your Vox blog and your posts on MMM.
rockwoot.gif

I found that MMU goes on better without a primer. You just need a good moisturiser. I tried rosehip oil with essential oils before MMU and it did a really good job. Of course my purpose of using rosehip oil is not as a primer.

Originally Posted by sat-chit-ananda /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hey there, geminisc!
I'm in Brisbane and I was wondering if you could give me an idea of GoW's S&H charges. By the way, I've been enjoying your Vox blog and your posts on MMM.
rockwoot.gif

Hi there! Markey's great. I made a HUUUUUGE order, and spoke to Markey about it, and she was nice enough to offer me surface mail. This means that it'll be 2 months before it arrives, but it only cost me $10. For airmail it went up to about $20-$30 depending on which type of airmail I wanted (2-3 day service, 4-7 day service etc)
I don't really mind waiting, so it's no big deal. Basically Markey will try to accomodate and get you the best shipping deal possible, but it's best to talk to you herself, because I don't know what you're ordering. Myself, I was ordering lots of oils just in the small sizes, waxes and butters and a hydrosol. it all came up to about $100 give or take. But it's so easy to go crazy on there..
wink.gif

Originally Posted by geminisc /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi there! Markey's great. I made a HUUUUUGE order, and spoke to Markey about it, and she was nice enough to offer me surface mail. This means that it'll be 2 months before it arrives, but it only cost me $10. For airmail it went up to about $20-$30 depending on which type of airmail I wanted (2-3 day service, 4-7 day service etc)
I don't really mind waiting, so it's no big deal. Basically Markey will try to accomodate and get you the best shipping deal possible, but it's best to talk to you herself, because I don't know what you're ordering. Myself, I was ordering lots of oils just in the small sizes, waxes and butters and a hydrosol. it all came up to about $100 give or take. But it's so easy to go crazy on there..
wink.gif

Ain't that the truth- I spent about the same on various oils and could have easily spent more there!

Originally Posted by Lorrine24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif Sunny:
Do you like the Spackle better than the Smashbox Primer...besides just the price?

I use Emu Oil from LongviewFarms.com - Emu Oil for Beauty, Pain Relief and Hair Loss.

I have oily skin too and this does not make it worse. I use it mostly in the winter because of dryness and it helps out a lot. Oil on oily skin...who woulda' thunk it!

Hi Lorrine, I actually feel differently about the Spackle now...and no, I like the Smashbox way better. I just opened my 3rd bottle of Smashbox this morning, I pre-order this stuff so I'm never w/out it now. The Spackle takes too long to dry and I'm very impatient so many times I'll find myself buffing in my mu and it'll be streaky and nasty. The Smashbox seems to make a better canvas so my mu glides on nicely.I know you probably asked this like last year, so I'm sorry it took so long.
rotfl.gif

Originally Posted by geminisc /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi there! Markey's great. I made a HUUUUUGE order, and spoke to Markey about it, and she was nice enough to offer me surface mail. This means that it'll be 2 months before it arrives, but it only cost me $10. For airmail it went up to about $20-$30 depending on which type of airmail I wanted (2-3 day service, 4-7 day service etc)
wink.gif

Gee, I wasn't thinking of ordering that much stuff but it's certainly good to know that Markey is very flexible and accomodating with shipping options. Surface mail sounds good to me too, especially for small orders. Thanks for your helpful info. I appreciate your prompt response!

I have tried sooo many primers... Mac, Becca, Joey, Smashbox and the list goes on, however I recently bought the Smashbox w/ sunscreen and line diffusers... I'm hooked.

I have oily/acne prone skin and I've used LORAC's aquaPRIME Oil-Free Makeup Primer under my liquid and MMU and find it works great.

I want to make my own mineral foundation primer... Can I use Almond Oil, Pomegranate Seed Oil, CoQ-10 and Soy protein. Would this work?

Originally Posted by amethystangel /img/forum/go_quote.gif I want to make my own mineral foundation primer... Can I use Almond Oil, Pomegranate Seed Oil, CoQ-10 and Soy protein. Would this work? I just use silica powder. Its very cheap & no mixing required
wink.gif

Hi all, first post here and long time stalker! Is it okay to wear zinc sunscreen under mineral makeup? Everytime I do the mineral powder ends up looking abit mottled and uneven. What am I doing wrong? I use Jane Iredale and have bought ID before as I thought maybe the formulation will be different but doesn't appear to be. I use the brush from the range as well. Any tips? Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Min /img/forum/go_quote.gif I just use silica powder. Its very cheap & no mixing required
wink.gif
I have dry-ish skin... it gets flaky around the nose and lip areas.

Latest posts

Back