Notoriously Morbid: Vanishing Cabinet (Spoilers!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't necessarily my favorite theme because I'm not a fan of horror movies but I'm still happy that I'm off the waitlist finally!

I'm weird, I watch tons of horror movies and love the Walking Dead, but I don't actually like to collect things from horror movies or the like. It seems so, so dark...

so... macabre...

so... MORBID. Notoriously? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I really think this is why I have embraced this brand:  I love horror.  Books, movies, tv shows, music, artwork, playing cards with various stills from the _Nightmare on Elm Street_ franchise -- I even named an entire cat after one of the greatest horror writers *ever*.  I actually got into makeup because I was obsessed with horror effects in high school.  I would have loved to have gone into that field, but I had no clue how to even attempt to get into it, and then there was all sorts of family stuff that held me back.  I love Halloween because that's when I can get lots of skull stuff like cookie jars and tumblers, which I use year-round, and I have not one but *two* Crystal Skull vodka bottles (one is the regular-sized head, although it's empty because my aunt wanted the vodka, and one is a small one from the airplane bottle section of the liquor store, but that one still contains the booze).  The aesthetic is just *me*.

I really think this is why I have embraced this brand:  I love horror.  Books, movies, tv shows, music, artwork, playing cards with various stills from the _Nightmare on Elm Street_ franchise -- I even named an entire cat after one of the greatest horror writers *ever*.  I actually got into makeup because I was obsessed with horror effects in high school.  I would have loved to have gone into that field, but I had no clue how to even attempt to get into it, and then there was all sorts of family stuff that held me back.  I love Halloween because that's when I can get lots of skull stuff like cookie jars and tumblers, which I use year-round, and I have not one but *two* Crystal Skull vodka bottles (one is the regular-sized head, although it's empty because my aunt wanted the vodka, and one is a small one from the airplane bottle section of the liquor store, but that one still contains the booze).  The aesthetic is just *me*.
My weird brain went way too far with the idea of naming just the parts of a cat.  I've been naming my cats wrong for years!!!  :lol:

(and I also named an entire cat, Edgar, after Poe)
Whoo!  Great minds think alike!  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

(The other cat is named after Oscar Wilde because of _The Portrait of Dorian Gray_.  He's a gray kitty.  And he's a VERY VERY HANDSOME BOY, and he makes sure everyone is aware of his beauty.  I had *no clue* he would turn out like this when I named him!)

I am literally here for pretties. :lol: I am massively superstitious and I won't touch horror-type stuff with a ten foot pole. My personal belief is that negative energy draws other negative energies, and I want that as far away from me as possible.

OF COURSE that doesn't mean I think all folks who like horror or spooky stuff are going to be serial killers or something! If that were the case, I'd be a poor version of Cher from Clueless, LMAO. :lol:

I am literally here for pretties. :lol: I am massively superstitious and I won't touch horror-type stuff with a ten foot pole. My personal belief is that negative energy draws other negative energies, and I want that as far away from me as possible.

OF COURSE that doesn't mean I think all folks who like horror or spooky stuff are going to be serial killers or something! If that were the case, I'd be a poor version of Cher from Clueless, LMAO. :lol:
I think it's something like that for me, too. I am totally "SCIENCE SCIENCE" pro-rationale, pro-logic, no superstitions... except this. I just think it's really macabre. That, and I just don't find is aesthetically pleasing.

I am ALL about science fiction, though. I wish more brands embraced sci-fi. I'd love to have collections inspired by Philip K. Dick, Solaris, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek: TNG, Half Life, Portal and the like.

I also like the idea of collections for Peter Pan and Wizard of Oz, plus modern shows like The Office, Lost, and geez, wouldn't Breaking Bad make an AMAZING collection?

Haha I am all about the macabre stuff. I did an entire print series on death...by accident. my professor kept giving us different assignment and everything that always came to mind was macabre stuff. This semester I went a little more cheery and I made a statement that I'm going back to my gorey stuff and his only reply was "that's my girl". (hmmm, that seems like it could be taken the wrong way, but no lol)

I think that's why I love NM so much. It understands me lol

well, hopefully the colors will be nice.  I am a bit surprised that they haven't shown the colors - they usually do.  Now they are waiting until the VC's are shipped.

weird.
Looping back on this one because I missed it earlier:  I think they're specifically not showing the shades just for this month as a part of the theme.  Presents for horror icons!  It's all a big surprise!

And as for the specific shades, I am a bit intrigued at the possibility of a pink blush with a green sheen to it for Regan.  My brain latched onto that this morning and just won't go.

If were doing dream collections, then I'd love to see Sleepy Hollow! They could do...

Ichabod/Abbie - "Two Witnesses"  a brown with a strong purple shift and lost of glitter

Katerina - "Love Buried Deep"  a moss green with heavy burgandy glitter

Henry Parish/Jeremy - "Got You Now" - A tan, cozy color offset by startling flecks of red

Moloch - "King of all Hell" - burnt, blackish brown with greenish-whitegold shift and orange glitters.

If they added a fifth shadow - Captain Abraham - 'Sold Your Soul" - a blood red with black glitter. Pretty simple

Or The Horseman - Difficult Sides - A white, with blue, gosld and an eerie orange red glitter

Or a blush - Jenny - Strength Protects - A very deep plum that when blended on cheeks shows a softer, more mauve tone  with a good amount of shimmer

That was fun but too har for my brain. Night.

Ooh, I just thought of one that I'm going to have to think about a bit more before I try to come up with an imaginary collection to go with the movie (also, my sleepy drugs have kicked in, so I know I'm not making much sense right now, so I need to not work on this post any more tonight).  Hint:  Death by Stereo. 

Yes! Yes! I love Sleepy Hollow and I love Death By Stereo (my looks don't translate my musical taste at all, by the way, and I always get shocked looks when I say that my favorite bands are Fugazi, Explosions in The Sky, Mogwai, and Q and Not U). 

Speaking of, last night I was thinking of a music collection, including SUB-SUB-genres like Chill Wave and Witch Gaze, and took off with it until I fell asleep.

I SO want to start a makeup company. Well, I could think of themes and do artwork. Someone with all the talent could formulate the colors :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I also agree that an X-Files Collection needs to happen, like, yesterday.

Also, my heart is aching for a collection inspired by Haruku Murakami's novels. That would be amazing.

@@meaganola has anyone done a collection based on any of Hayao Miyazaki's works? 

A true Brothers Grimm/Fairtytales collection, too... Notoriously Morbid could do that so well (if no one else has? I saw the Valentines collections GDE put out this year and cursed myself for only really getting into indies since August!)

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOD, Murakami makeup, YES PLEASE!

(ohsailor, I used to live...yes, live...in a record store, and not only does no one around me ever know what i'm talking about when I talk about music (small town and I swear all anyone listens to is pop country) but I also get surprise and alien looks when I DO talk music with people and I very much appreciate your musical taste.)

A true Brothers Grimm/Fairtytales collection, too... Notoriously Morbid could do that so well (if no one else has? I saw the Valentines collections GDE put out this year and cursed myself for only really getting into indies since August!)

I would love that! As you stated, a true version of those tales, not the scrubbed kid-friendly version :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I still love that movie - Brothers Grimm :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

has anyone done a collection based on any of Hayao Miyazaki's works? 
Shiro has Miyazaki lip tints: http://shirocosmetics.com/products/lips/tinted-balms/

Baroque Cosmetics has a Spirited Away Collection (collection name is Always With Me) and a Howl's Moving Castle Collection (A Heart's a Heavy Burden): http://baroquecosmetics.storenvy.com/

Dusk Cosmetics has collections based on Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke: http://www.storenvy.com/stores/397104-dusk-cosmetics

Yes! Yes! I love Sleepy Hollow and I love Death By Stereo (my looks don't translate my musical taste at all, by the way, and I always get shocked looks when I say that my favorite bands are Fugazi, Explosions in The Sky, Mogwai, and Q and Not U).
Whoops, no, wrong Death by Stereo.  Maybe my hint should have been the Frog Brothers.  I need to rewatch the movie and flesh out my ideas. 

Back