Rave review for Monave!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I have weird skin. I have NEVER experienced oily skin- not even as a teen. Now at almost 40, it's extremely dry. I also live in a climate that changes dramatically during the seasons. In the summer it is humid even when there are droughts and then in the winter the air is so dry- today the humidity was 1!! So I know a lot of it is climate. I slather on jojoba oil, moisturizer, and have squalene on the way. I pretty much drink only water during the day and cook with olive oil and "good" oils but I still have dry skin. The Monave just made it more apparent.

I don't wear mineral e/s because of the benefits but because I love how they appy and stay. I just think they look so much prettier than non-mineral ones. I love the Monave eye liner pencils I bought. They go on so smooth and stay put. I hadn't used pencil in years but they are quick and easy when in a hurry and Monave's are wonderful IMHO.

after reading all these reviews, i must try monave! my skin tends to get oily through out the day so monave sounds like it might just work for me!

my skin has been extremely dry these days thanks to winter climate and the retin-a i'm using at night. it seems that monave is the ONLY mineral foundation that i can apply dry and not make my skin look all dry and flakey. All the other brands (ie lumiere, valerie) i have to apply wet to not make my skin look super flakey. that's why i love monave! :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok Ladies, need some CF Shade Advice! I just got my sample of Hyeyeon and it melts perfectly into my winter skin. I want to take advantage of the full size w/refill offer and buy a darker shade for when I get some sun during the warmer months. I want to stay in the CF formula and will need the yellow tone that Hyeyeon has. I don't sit out in the sun purposely, but I am outside w/my kids walking, biking, playing, etc. Any advice is very welcomed! Thanks in advance!

Wish I could help you but that's one thing that is difficult with Monave because the foundations don't really move up just in darkness. The CFs were never described so it was even more difficult to figure out what would work. Actually my match was a CF too- Caroline, but I wouldn't mind knowing what a "summer" equivalent is since I often use that to hide my spotty issue on my forehead. I may actually be able to use Monave in the summer when it's nice and humid here.

Hoozey, if I hear anything else on the Monave board I'll let you know! But isn't Hyeyeon the next darker shade from Caroline in the CF? Guess we could always email Monave directly too, I just thought w/all the knowledge here someone would know!

Ruby

I think the recs here are always great. Everyone takes such a personal interest to help out if they can. I didn't know Hyeyeon was next up to Caroline. Thanks for the info. Actually when I tried Monave I was shocked at how light they looked in the jars- thought "This can't match." but it did. Staying power is unreal. Lumiere is my HG but Monave is number 2 amd excellent for problem areas.

Hoozey I agree with you, this is a wonderful board!! I called Monave this am and spoke w/a very nice woman who said she actually makes the makeup! She suggested I go w/Mirabella since that is the next shade darker so guess I'll get a sample pot of that to try. I'm still trying to decide between the Hyeyeon and my Lumiere FF. They are both wonderful! Just curious, why do you like Lumiere better?

I guess I like Lumiere FF because it is a little less matte than Monave. I basically try to achieve a look with makeup of freshly washed skin which has a bit of a sheen to it (only without the flaws.) I find matte finishes make me look older - makes the fine lines show up. I don't look my age to most people (which will be 39 next month) but I like to keep it that way. :rotfl: So I guess when I use Lumiere it gives me enough coverage without being too matte and lets me keep getting carded (no lie) which makes me feel good. :rockwoot:

Thanks Hoozey! I am still torn between the Monave and Lumiere, but now that Paypal has a $15 rebate I'm going to go ahead and get the full size Hyeyeon anyway. I totally concur about getting carded too. I am looking at 45 in a month and everyone tells me I look 10-15 yrs. younger, which is music to my ears!!!!

Hoozey, have you tried the regular foundation as opposed to the concealer foundations? I agree that the CFoundations are matte because it gives a denser coverage, but the regular foundations are less matte than Lumiere, IMO. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Aileen,

I tried the yellow samples light-medium and Caroline was my only match. The regular foundation ones weren't a match. I figured they would be similar to Signature foundation because they have the exact same ingredients and I wore that for a week or so while waiting on Lumiere. I immediately fell in love with Lumiere FF because it melts right into my skin. Signature and Monave seem to stay on top of my skin- no matter how much I buff. I also noticed this with foundation which has kanolin clay as it's main ingredient. I think my skin is really so devoid of oil that it has nothing to adhere to.The tiny lines near my eyes were more apparent when wearing these other foundations. It's not dry as in flakey- just dry as in not at all oily no matter what I apply to it beforehand. I seem to get decent coverage with Lumiere FF dry... I did the before (ugh) and after thread recently with it. Let me know what you think. I think maybe Monave would be better for me in summer when it is more humid. I love how it looks on you. Do you know which color is Caroline's counterpart in the regular foundation? I may try them again... I am thinking I may need more of their pencil liners. I am impressed with the staying power. I like the ease of a pencil on my lazier days. I got my SIL hooked on semi-matte white as a highlighter already too.

I have tried Monave and have been tossing around whether or not to get the "make your own mmu" kits they sell.

Hi Hoozey,

Sadly, they don't really have a Caroline in the regular foundation formula. However, you can ask Deb to custom-make Caroline for you in the regular foundation, turn-around time is 2 weeks, I read. You can always order a few weeks before summer hits so you can have it by then. Oh, you have tried Monave pencil liners? Interesting, I've never tried them. I probably will after your review.

The pencil liners go on really creamy smooth but actually stay put. I got the white and espresso. I am thinking I am going to have to get deep sea, khaki, warm brown, grape... hmmm what else. I'm so bad, I want them all.

OK- I did my MU today in Monave and put it in the before and after thread. It looks great but I definitely feel a "tightness" to my skin compared to the Lumiere FF. Look at how great it covered my pigmentation issues on my forehead though!! It went on better than when I first tried it... I think because I switched to a creamy cleanser- I haven't used anything with SLS in it for at least a month, and of course moisturize like crazy. I am definitely considering Caroline as a summer foundation- I like that it is a little better SPF because of the zinc oxide. PS- wore the Monave pencil liner for the photo too

how much product do you actually get for the monave sample set? for 4 sample foundations at $10, i hope it's a decent amount!

Mia-

The samples are in small stacker jars. I ordered some samples to use as concealer and could fit 2 1/2 to fill the jar itself if that helps. It's enough to use for quite a while because you need very little for coverage.

You also get 6 additional powders w/that $10 sample set. But I ordered individual sample foundation pots as I didn't like not having a choice in colors.

Back