Rave review for Monave!!!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried monave hyeyeon but it made me look too yellow. I need some yellow but not THAT yellow. It also didn't look creamy on my skin. I think there's something wrong with the way i applied it.

Ok so what is the size of the full size containers? I am going to have to buy this because I tried my samples today and I love it! I used Ashlie,and I got the Ashlie concealor foundation,but I thought it was just a concealor? Also,what about finishing powder? Which one is translucent?

Thanks!

The full size foundation is a 30 gram jar w/9-10 grams of product. The translucent finishing powder is the serecite, they are 20 gram jars w/5-7 grams of product. Monave also has a refill baggie deal for the foundation where you get a full size jar and the same size refill for $35-you can mix/match colors too.

I think I need some help from this forum...

My Monave samples have arrived and so far (this is only Day 2) I have to say I really LOVE the coverage and staying power of the Concealer-foundation! It also looks so smooth and natural.

I got Sandra, Teporah and Hyeyeon. Going by gut instinct and the color of the powders in the jar, I went with Hyeyeon yesterday and this looked like a perfect match. To me, it's not as creamy and soft as Lumiere VV - feels a bit drier and more matte... but I don't mind that. This morning I decided to do half my face in Teporah and half in Hyeyeon. And I was such a major ditz I got distracted and then I couldn't remember which half was which. The crazy thing too is that on both halves of my face, the foundation color looked identical! :frown:

I'll have to try this half-half test again tonight (and get an objective opinion from the BF), but in the meantime, I'd like to hear other people's descriptions of TEPORAH and HYEYEON - how do you see the difference? Which one is lighter/darker/more yellow?

Interestingly, even though they both look the same on my face, they definitely look different on my wrist. On my wrist, Teporah looks darker and peachier than Hyeyeon. (I know on the website it's supposed to be more olive but on my wrist it looks warmer that Hyeyeon - which looks lighter and yellower.) So maybe both shades work on my freakish multi-toned yellow-peach-brown face .... but if I had to pick between Teporah & Hyeyeon, which one do you think is a better match?

Link to photo

(^ note: I have decided that the Lumiere LM Warm is too pale and pink for me... need to try some Goldens)

Lilita you look fantastic in that photo and it really is hard to tell which side is which. I got my sample of Hyeyeon last week and really liked it, so much that I ordered a full size and am hoping it arrives this week. I didn't order Teporah the first time so can't help w/comparisons, but the Hyeyeon is pretty yellow to me. I wear Lt.-Med Gold in Lumiere, both VV and FF (slightly more yellow in this formula) and the Hyeyeon looks a tiny bit yellower than the Lum FF. What is your opinion of Meow? What /formulas work for you? I get so confused w/all the cat names that it's overwhelming and I haven't bothered w/samples yet. How do you compare it to Lumiere VV?

Thank you, ruby2! I am glad to know that you can wear both Hyeyeon and LM Golden in Lumiere... This means that LM-Golden might suit me too, and I have ordered a small jar. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I understand how you feel about Meow - to tell the truth, I almost gave up on Meow because after sampling over 10 shades I couldn't find one that suited me. But when I ran out of my Lumiere samples (waiting for full sizes to arrive) I started playing around & mixing my Meow samples and with some help from the MMU forums, worked out my shade to be roughly 60% Naughty Angora (yellow) + 40% Frisky Persian (peach).

I have only tried Meow's Purrfect Puss formula - and I love it because it's very light and weightless and I can wear many many layers and my skin still feels like there is no makeup on it. The powder is super fine and non-drying and it really melds with your skin over time. In terms of coverage though, I would say that it's almost the opposite of Lumiere VV - which is concentrated, "creamy" and "opaque" and covers everything. Meow is super matte and sheer - I find that I have to use a lot more product to get a decent coverage.

I know it might seem like a contradiction, but I love the Lumiere VV formula because it's so "intensive" and Meow Purrfect P. because it's so "sheer".

Personally I like Meow for that casual daytime "natural" fresh-faced no-makeup look. And Lumiere is fantastic for going out and looking glamorous with flawless skin :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If you are going to try Meow, bear in mind though that the "Light" range (Frisky) is really pale - almost ashy - more so in real life than it looks on the computer screen. If we are the same skintone, I would recommend Naughty/Medium Angora (yellow) or Naughty Abyssinian (yellow-beige) , or mixing one of these with something else.

Hope this helps!

Lilita,

Wow, that is probably one of the best reviews/comparisons that I have ever read! Thank you so much and I really appreciate it. I do really like Lumiere and Monave and feel like I should quit sampling, but your description of Meow really makes me want to try that too. I appreciate the color hints and tips. I guess if I'm going to try it I should get an order in tonight before the sale is over! I think that you will like Lumiere's Goldens-the Lt-Med is perfect for my Chinese skin. Have you tried Val's CD at all? I got samples of Y2, Y3 and W 2.75. The Y2 is the best color for me, but I find that I have to blot w/that brand during the day and I don't have to at all w/Monave or Lumiere. Take care and thanks again!

Hi Ruby2, I am chinese too! Glad I could help!

No, I haven't tried Val... and after all the money I have spent on foundations in the past 3 months, I don't think I should start on Val or I'll never stop and then I'll be broke before you know it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Right now I am loving Monave (it's only Day 2!) and already wondering if I should buy a full-size of Hyeyeon & Angel finishing powder or join a MMU Anonymous 12-step program .... LOL

I know what you mean, this whole MMU thing is totally addicting. I have only been using then since last May and I don't even want to know how much I've spent. I think Monave is going to be right up there on the HG list w/Lumiere. Did you try the Angel powder too? I have a sample of that coming, along w/some lip glazes. I'm right there with you on the 12 step program too! On a personal note, were you born in China? I was born in HK. We went to China in Dec. 04 and I'm dying to go back!

Hi ruby2, I am chinese but born in Malaysia... I lived mostly in Australia and past few years in the U.S. I have been to HK a couple of times and had a great time!

Yes, I have a sample of the Monave Angel powder - and I love this! It's probably the first finishing powder I have tried that is just the right touch of "yellow tint", and it doesn't make my face look "white". I think you will like it!

So I am interested to hear your thoughts on Monave? So far, how do you compare it with Lumiere VV? (I haven't made my mind up yet)

I've never been to Australia, but it's on my list of places to go. HK is a great city too. Well thanks for the Angel review too! I am sure that I will like that as well. I have been using the FF in Lumiere lately as my skin is dryer in the winter time, but I think the Monave is definitely a "heavier" foundation look, w/out feeling heavy. I also think the Monave is slightly more creamy and the Hyeyeon is more yellow than the LM Golden. I really do think they will be my 2 HG's. I wasn't impressed w/Val's as much as I thought I'd be so you made a wise choice not to try it.

Lilita-

Seems like both colors work for you- I couldn't tell a difference from the two sides. Look like pretty good matches. I loved your Meow explanation too. I looked at the site and was so confused. I have no Asian background but am definitely a yellow undertone. It's not so apparent in my face any more because I have hyperpigmentation issues that cropped up a year or two ago. I also have hazel green eyes (they used to be brown when I was younger... they seem to be lightening up with age) and Meow doesn't really mention yellow undertones with lighter eyes. So I definitely left without purchasing- too unsure of where to even start. You described everything so well that I feel pretty confident I'd be able to pick decent ones now. How does Meow feel in comparison to Lumiere? I'd opt for the sensitive skin one since my skin has gotten so dry and testy. Is it drier feeling than FF? Thanks! Dayna

Ruby2,

Thanks so much....now I need to decide if I want the concealer foundtion or the other.I have no clue..

Hi Dayna -

Glad my description helped! It took me so long to figure everything out with all the shades and cat names, I understand the confusion! Just be prepared to mix foundations to get your match. (This can be frustrating, or fun if you have the time)

Meow feels lighter than Lumiere on my skin, but on "dry skin days" I would prefer to wear Lumiere. Lumiere definitely feels more moisturizing/creamy. (This is the VV; I haven't tried the FF)

You know when you wash your face and dry it off and there's that "squeaky clean, "slightly tight" feeling? ... I think that's more like how Meow is for me. But I'm describing the Purrfect Puss formula on my skin.. I can't speak for the other formulas yet...

Ruby - thanks for that! I think Monave is going to be one of my HGs too... (Oh no! Have to spend more money...)

Yippee...i finally ordered a full size of monave because i have decided it's the best MMU i've tried (and i've tried about 6-7). my skin is really dry thanks to the winter climate and retin-a micro...so i have a lot of flakies, but monave doesn't emphasize them at all!! i love it. i ordered a full size of hyeyeon in the concealer-foundation formula. i originally thought teporah was my shade but later discovered it was too pink. since i'm asian, i need a more yellow-toned color. anyway, i ordered my full size on sunday and got my order today!! the full size should last me a while. i love monave :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Hi kathy - Were you using Lumiere before Monave? I am interested in how you would compare the two.

I am still so undecided. I really love the Hyeyeon sample I have (it has the perfect amount of "yellow" and the coverage is as good as Lumiere VV) but I'm finding it a bit dry - I mean, it's not too bad, but I've been spoilt with Lumiere... and I notice that my skin doesn't feel as "flexible" as when I am wearing Lumiere VV... Tonight I looked in the mirror and could see all my fine lines and pores. eek. I wonder if I am putting too much foundation on.

Out of curiousity, do you all recommend applying Monave with a damp or dry brush? And how many layers do you usually wear?

Farris2 you are welcome! The concealer formula is heavier and has more zinc oxide in it and I think the colors offered in both formulas are different. But I have heard that Deb will custom make your color in the forumula you want but it takes approx. 2 weeks. Good luck to you.

Lilita, I have heard that it's better to apply Monave CF w/a dry brush since it's already a "heavier" foundation. Also, less is definitely more w/this brand! I have done it both ways- one heavier layer and 2 light layers and didn't notice( either way) my pores or little wrinkles. I am really liking this brand alot.

Makeupchicky, I hope mine comes today-I ordered it Sat but asked them to include a yellow concealer pencil (they are new and not on the site yet) if they had one so that may be what's holding my order up. Glad you found your HG!

I've had MOnave on my wishlist sooo long but haven't ordered yet because I didn't like they way you have to order samples, i.e. in a pre-selected ;ack of four. There are no four colors in their samples that I know will fit me :frown: ANd I also couldn't figure out if the samples are from the regular foundation or the concealer foundation or a mix of both? Oh, and has anyone tried their liquid?

Back