(Spoilers) Julep May 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Spoiler!!!

Oy, that is one FUGLY color!!!

Just got this email from Julep And a blog post too : http://www.julep.com/blog/plie-wand/  
I don't really get this. Does this only apply to the crowdfunders? & if yes, why can't they get a Plié Wand with It Girl or Modern Beauty but they can get 1 with the Polish Lover's Upgrade? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
Hmm... It looks like they're adding a new style profile, Color Crush. Or maybe they're renaming It Girl? I'm not sure I like that. It just feels weird.
NO WAY. Where do you see that?!?
Unless they're showing off the Brilliance bottle a month or more early, I'm pretty sure that will be one of this month's MB products. I've been squinting at the image for a while and I swear the small text reads "glycolic hand scrub," which would make it a rebranding. The first word has the same number of letters as "glycolic" and appears to share some too (take that with a grain of salt because it might be my brain making the word what I want it to be) and I'm pretty certain the second and third words are "hand scrub." I liked the sample-size hand scrub I got a couple of months ago, but their way of rebranding old products and presenting them as new does come across as shady.
I agree that it'd be pretty lame of them to rebrand the hand scrub, but I think it's 100% necessary. I know what glycogen is & that's why the hand scrub has never appealed to me in the slightest haha. I'm sure I'm not the only one on that boat either.
Spoiler!!!
LL
Ehh. The polish is okay. I just hope it's not in It Girl this month. xD

ugh looks like I'll be skipping this month again...
Haha don't lose hope just yet! We still have 2 more days to find out what products & polishes we can opt for.

NO WAY. Where do you see that?!? .
In that screenshot of the email, Color Crush is listed as one of the three boxes that do not include the wand. I'm drawing my new-or-replacement conclusion since this is the first I've heard of that *and* It Girl -- which is supposed to be all-polish -- is not listed.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In that screenshot of the email, Color Crush is listed as one of the three boxes that do not include the wand. I'm drawing my new-or-replacement conclusion since this is the first I've heard of that *and* It Girl -- which is supposed to be all-polish -- is not listed.

This is how I intepreted the email as well.

Quote:Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Spoiler!!!

I feel like the model's nails look photoshopped. I'd like to see a legit swatch before I judge... Though this color is one of few that I don't think will look very nice with my skin :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't think it's a terrible color though, I'll just have to wait and see!

So not even crowd funders are guaranteed a plie wand if they want to choose a box that doesn't have one and not upgrade?

I am not a crowd funder but even I think that is WEAK. 

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  So not even crowd funders are guaranteed a plie wand if they want to choose a box that doesn't have one and not upgrade?

Yeah, the general message I'm seeing now is that you just prepaid for the May box because not all of them have the wand in them. If I can't switch (It Girl is my default profile) to something that has the wand in it Sunday morning then I'm going to be having words on the phone with CS Monday morning because when I did the crowdfunding thing months ago it was specifically for a wand for May's box not to have paid for May's box months in advance with the chance that I might not even get the wand.

I have a feeling that this month isn't going to be a pretty one at all.

Quote:Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, the general message I'm seeing now is that you just prepaid for the May box because not all of them have the wand in them. If I can't switch (It Girl is my default profile) to something that has the wand in it Sunday morning then I'm going to be having words on the phone with CS Monday morning because when I did the crowdfunding thing months ago it was specifically for a wand for May's box not to have paid for May's box months in advance with the chance that I might not even get the wand.

I'm so confused how they're going to even go about this. Not all of the crowd funders have the same maven profile, so what if you're an It Girl and It Girl doesn't have a wand? And those are the colors you like? Then what?? Yeesh. I didn't pre-order for May so I'm also interested to see how this all plays out for those of us who didn't do it.

Quote: Originally Posted by tulosai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by DragonChick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definitely got the impression that the crowdfunding was specifically for the Plié Wand, not just a May box. I haven't gone back to look at the original crowdfunding email/request but I would think that if every person who pre-ordered doesn't get a wand there is going to be major backlash at Julep since the wand was the incentive of paying early. 

Also, will the window still open on Sunday even though it's Easter? I have never noticed a window opening on a holiday before, but it seems like Julep is just asking for trouble by opening the window then. Have they ever opened the window early? I guess since it's a Sunday though it wouldn't matter since CS is closed anyways. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Rachel S /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm so confused how they're going to even go about this. Not all of the crowd funders have the same maven profile, so what if you're an It Girl and It Girl doesn't have a wand? And those are the colors you like? Then what?? Yeesh.

I didn't pre-order for May so I'm also interested to see how this all plays out for those of us who didn't do it. This is all weird and the email really didn't answer any questions. I'm interested to see how it all plays out when the window opens. 

Quote: Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definitely got the impression that the crowdfunding was specifically for the Plié Wand, not just a May box. I haven't gone back to look at the original crowdfunding email/request but I would think that if every person who pre-ordered doesn't get a wand there is going to be major backlash at Julep since the wand was the incentive of paying early. 

Also, will the window still open on Sunday even though it's Easter? I have never noticed a window opening on a holiday before, but it seems like Julep is just asking for trouble by opening the window then. Have they ever opened the window early? I guess since it's a Sunday though it wouldn't matter since CS is closed anyways. 
The window closed before on Christmas eve so I think everything will be on schedule.  I'm more sad that we wont have our thread on here for 2+ days while the window is open!

Quote: Originally Posted by KatieS131 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The window is probably automated, they've had windows start on a Sunday before, but not on holidays IIRC. This will be interesting.

Quote:Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Spoiler!!!

I feel like the model's nails look photoshopped. I'd like to see a legit swatch before I judge... Though this color is one of few that I don't think will look very nice with my skin :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I don't think it's a terrible color though, I'll just have to wait and see!
The middle finger looks like a press on nail.

That's not how I'm reading that (if by, "that," you both mean, "if you don't make any changes, you'll receive your default box," as I had to read the release a few times to figure out what part had you concerned; if there's another section I'm missing, 'er, nevermind :)  :

I think they mean that, as with any month, if someone doesn't log in during the window/doesn't change anything about their order, they will receive whatever box to which their profile is set, even if they've prepaid (i.e., "If you prepaid but have an It Girl default and are too lazy/dumb to look at a computer between 4/20 and 4/24, don't go callin' us when you get a pretty little box with three expensive tiny bottles of nail polish on 5/1 and no Plie.") Not, "If you don't grab one quickly enough within the window, the fact that you've prepaid means nothing and you won't be able to change to a box that would receive the Plie." 

Also, although I'm sure there are countless new ways Julep can continue to screw us over in the future, I don't recall the "soldout" issue ever affecting being able to change boxes themselves, just add-ons (and, then, consequently, sometimes people couldn't/didn't want to change boxes if they HAD scored a now-sold-out add-on because Julep can't manage to hire IT writers to fix the bug in their ordering page that would allow one to, like, keep the sold-out-to-others product and change the not-sold-out-so-it's-not-a-problem-omfg-this-is-so-dumb product). But, in fact, what's always stood out to me as an extra layer of absurb [and, admittedly, I've only been subscribed for a few months now, so perhaps this has happened in the past] is that, even when a polish that is available in one of the boxes sells out as an add-on, one can still always change to the box that includes that polish.

That said, if you're concerned, why not change your default profile to any of the others for this month now? Then, if the polish colors that come with that box aren't what you want once the window opens, then if it turns out to be a non-issue to change boxes, no harm, you switch to what you want, but if you were right and it's a huge drama, you at least already have the plie covered and you can deal with polishes after. Then, you can easily switch your profile back to It Girl or Kolor Kraaazzay or whatevs after the window closes. 

[Also, I could definitely be wrong, as I ultimately decided not to crowdfund prepay based on this (coupled with the fact that there didn't seem to be the high level of interest/demand they seemed to anticipate/attempt to create) and thus haven't really looked at the info in a while, but my understanding of how the whole "some mavens may need to wait for their Plie from their May box if they don't pre-pay" deal would work was that, rather than a "sold-out" scenario, those of us who order/purchase our boxes (or, I guess, add-ons, for the extra-bad-at-math) potentially could get an option more like what happened with the clusterfuck cuticle pusher, or, more accurately, what would have happened if they'd handled that better from the start, i.e., a [hopefully accurate/truthful from the moment of ordering notice/option re:) a later shipping date].

And, yes, I realize I will likely be back on Sunday, eating my words when my well-thought-through decision to wait it out come back to haunt me and I am wrong about everything and can't get it or can only get it if I order the box with the ugliest colors (like that worse-than-Karen-and-more-than$2.99 2.0 upthread crap*) or some other Julep-ordering hell that I have yet to even be capable of imagining. 

[i *do* want the Plie, very much! Although, Meaganola brings up a great point; I suspect my cat will want it MORE. Sigh. Keeping Josie from stealing all my make-up brushes is hard enough work! Josie gets equally excited about murdering lizards and stealing and attacking make-up brushes. All girl, that one. I think she will LOVE the Plie. I guess the upside is that, even if it sucks as much as that middle-finger-giving Karen press-on nail (WAY TO SELL IT, JULEP!), it won't have to go right in the trash. Reduce, reuse, recycle!]

Quote: Originally Posted by kElizascope /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, although I'm sure there are countless new ways Julep can continue to screw us over in the future, I don't recall the "soldout" issue ever affecting being able to change boxes themselves, just add-ons...

This was an issue in (coincidentally enough) the May box from last year with the roaring 20's collection. The new intro boxes still had boxes, but the upgrade, and I believe Boho Glam and Bombshell both sold out and you couldn't change... if I'm right, Julep's going to attempt another campaign like that one. :X

That's not how I'm reading that (if by, "that," you both mean, "if you don't make any changes, you'll receive your default box," as I had to read the release a few times to figure out what part had you concerned; if there's another section I'm missing, 'er, nevermind :)  :

I think they mean that, as with any month, if someone doesn't log in during the window/doesn't change anything about their order, they will receive whatever box to which their profile is set, even if they've prepaid (i.e., "If you prepaid but have an It Girl default and are too lazy/dumb to look at a computer between 4/20 and 4/24, don't go callin' us when you get a pretty little box with three expensive tiny bottles of nail polish on 5/1 and no Plie.") Not, "If you don't grab one quickly enough within the window, the fact that you've prepaid means nothing and you won't be able to change to a box that would receive the Plie." 
I think the problem is that when they asked for crowdfunding, it was specifically for the Plié Wand, not just the monthly Maven box. People who pre-ordered, I believe, thought they were pre-paying to guarantee that they would get a Plié Wand in addition to their monthly box, regardless of what their style profile is/was. Therefore, I can definitely understand the disappointment/anger/frustration that it now appears the Plié Wand will only be in select boxes.

Any other month, I could understand that we do have 4 days to make a selection and if you miss that--well, sorry, but this month I feel Julep owes all crowdfunders a Plié Wand since they specifically paid for them. I know that when I pre-ordered, I did it try out the wand rather than just pay for the box early. 

Quote: Originally Posted by LinaMingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The middle finger looks like a press on nail.

It sure does! That is the first thing I thought when I saw this photo.

Also, although I'm sure there are countless new ways Julep can continue to screw us over in the future, I don't recall the "soldout" issue ever affecting being able to change boxes themselves, just add-ons (and, then, consequently, sometimes people couldn't/didn't want to change boxes if they HAD scored a now-sold-out add-on because Julep can't manage to hire IT writers to fix the bug in their ordering page that would allow one to, like, keep the sold-out-to-others product and change the not-sold-out-so-it's-not-a-problem-omfg-this-is-so-dumb product). But, in fact, what's always stood out to me as an extra layer of absurb [and, admittedly, I've only been subscribed for a few months now, so perhaps this has happened in the past] is that, even when a polish that is available in one of the boxes sells out as an add-on, one can still always change to the box that includes that polish.

That said, if you're concerned, why not change your default profile to any of the others for this month now? Then, if the polish colors that come with that box aren't what you want once the window opens, then if it turns out to be a non-issue to change boxes, no harm, you switch to what you want, but if you were right and it's a huge drama, you at least already have the plie covered and you can deal with polishes after. Then, you can easily switch your profile back to It Girl or Kolor Kraaazzay or whatevs after the window closes.

[Also, I could definitely be wrong, as I ultimately decided not to crowdfund prepay based on this (coupled with the fact that there didn't seem to be the high level of interest/demand they seemed to anticipate/attempt to create) and thus haven't really looked at the info in a while, but my understanding of how the whole "some mavens may need to wait for their Plie from their May box if they don't pre-pay" deal would work was that, rather than a "sold-out" scenario, those of us who order/purchase our boxes (or, I guess, add-ons, for the extra-bad-at-math) potentially could get an option more like what happened with the clusterfuck cuticle pusher, or, more accurately, what would have happened if they'd handled that better from the start, i.e., a [hopefully accurate/truthful from the moment of ordering notice/option re:) a later shipping date].

And, yes, I realize I will likely be back on Sunday, eating my words when my well-thought-through decision to wait it out come back to haunt me and I am wrong about everything and can't get it or can only get it if I order the box with the ugliest colors (like that worse-than-Karen-and-more-than$2.99 2.0 upthread crap*) or some other Julep-ordering hell that I have yet to even be capable of imagining.

[i *do* want the Plie, very much! Although, Meaganola brings up a great point; I suspect my cat will want it MORE. Sigh. Keeping Josie from stealing all my make-up brushes is hard enough work! Josie gets equally excited about murdering lizards and stealing and attacking make-up brushes. All girl, that one. I think she will LOVE the Plie. I guess the upside is that, even if it sucks as much as that middle-finger-giving Karen press-on nail (WAY TO SELL IT, JULEP!), it won't have to go right in the trash. Reduce, reuse, recycle!]

I didn't read this entire post so I apologize if what I'm about to say is pointless, but I think the main concern is that it is now appearing that the wand is only in select boxes but when all these ladies pre-ordered in Feb (or whenever that was I forget), they thought they were getting a wand NO MATTER WHAT. So for example if your profile is It Girl, but It Girl doesn't have a wand in it, and you prepaid for the box... It's going to be a major issue. You know what I'm saying? I didn't prepay so I'm not stressing too too much about it but I do feel bad for all the ladies who did and aren't clear about how this will all go down.

When it all started I was pretty sure the pre-paying thing guaranteed a wand, and it implied that it paid for your box for the month of May. It may have even stated that outright but now I can't remember, I just know that to me it sounded like if you participated in the crowdfunding then you had already paid for May AND were for sure getting a wand.

icon_rolleyes.gif

Back