Birchbox August 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd love some more Coola, it's my favorite sunscreen now thanks to all the sampling.

I'm really excited for MALIN+GOETZ, I'd love the try the body moisturizer. I'd be happy with anything from BECCA, I've been wanting to try them for a long time. 

August looks to be a good month!

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I looove Shea Terra's black soap! I am all out and need some, my face has been giving me fits.

I really liked my July BB, so I'm hoping August follows suit! I for one would be fine with more Coola, I really like it!

Shea Terra would actually be a great brand for this month, if they're doing the foodie thing!  Maybe not so much the black soap, but the whipped shea butters!

From the BB website:

"dessert-worthy scents like Bananas & Baobabs, Gingered Pumpkin, White Chocolate, and Rooibos & Berries"

Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shea Terra would actually be a great brand for this month, if they're doing the foodie thing!  Maybe not so much the black soap, but the whipped shea butters!

From the BB website:

"dessert-worthy scents like Bananas & Baobabs, Gingered Pumpkin, White Chocolate, and Rooibos & Berries"
I would love that! The shea whippers are fantastic. Gingered Pumpkin is my favorite and I need to get more before fall. And Shea Terra has other possibilities for that theme...like their lip balms (I had the banana one until I washed it, and it was amaaaazing). And they have face creams with things like carrot seed and arugula, and lots of ingredients like mint, rooibos, dates, licorice, honey...basically a perfect company for a "food scented" kind of theme. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Kiehl's BB cream does WONDERS for me. I love it so much. I don't usually wear foundation, but when I do it's MUFE HD foundation. Please imagine the Dos Equis guy saying that.
roflmao.gif

I'm hoping for some Benefit products in August.  I never get them in my box but if not it's okay.  My Ulta is having a Benefit event tomorrow and I will probably buy way too much stuff.  Kind of ehh on the Coola.  I like it but already sampled it in box box and have two on my way from a trade so I'd like to try something else.  Hopefully August will be a good month for everyone!

edited to fix a misspelling.

Originally Posted by angienharry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your favorite foundation?

I'm on the lookout for a HG foundation.

My last two have been a Laura mercier powder and a sephora brand liquid. I have tried many but none that just wow me. I bought a beauty blender and I like it but still just not AMAZED with any one foundation in particular. I am 41 (ok going to be 42 in 2 weeks, but still...lol) so i use a medium to full coverage to hide a few imperfections that come with age. Any suggestions??
I really really really like my Lancome Dual Finish powder. You can use it wet or dry, but I always use it dry. Most of the time alone over moisturizer, occasionally to set liquid. It has a really nice velvety finish and builds up to full coverage nicely. I have a bit of redness on my cheeks and around my nose that it covers up beautifully, and it doesn't make the rest of my face feel cakey. The only downside is that the one I get at Sephora has a bit of a scent to it, reminds me of erhm... older women? I hear the JCP Sephora has the unscented version, I may need to check into that since I hit the pan about a month ago lol.

Speaking of which, any of you ladies have suggestions for what to do with remnant pans? There are rings of foundation up the walls on two pans, is there a way to scrape it out and put it into a single pan to repress it?? Seems like such a waste to throw it away.

Also, I got a thing of liquid foundation to go with that powder, I've had it for the longest time but I've only used it probably a dozen times over the last year. I feel like the coverage is too thick and I feel like I'm wearing a mask. A few times this past few weeks, I mixed up a squirt of the liquid foundation with two squirts of moisturizer, and I like the light coverage a lot more.

Question: is it ok to dump a whole bunch of each into a pot and pre-mix it all up so it's ready to go, or should I be mixing right before I'm  ready to use each time?

Quote: Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I looove Shea Terra's black soap! I am all out and need some, my face has been giving me fits.

I really liked my July BB, so I'm hoping August follows suit! I for one would be fine with more Coola, I really like it!

From the BB website:

I have nothing but love for my Bananas & Baobabs body butter! One of my favorite products that Birchbox has ever sent me and the first one that I immediately purchased in full size. I would love to see Shea Terra in my box again!

What is your favorite foundation? I'm on the lookout for a HG foundation. My last two have been a Laura mercier powder and a sephora brand liquid. I have tried many but none that just wow me. I bought a beauty blender and I like it but still just not AMAZED with any one foundation in particular. I am 41 (ok going to be 42 in 2 weeks, but still...lol) so i use a medium to full coverage to hide a few imperfections that come with age. Any suggestions??

What is your favorite foundation? I'm on the lookout for a HG foundation. My last two have been a Laura mercier powder and a sephora brand liquid. I have tried many but none that just wow me. I bought a beauty blender and I like it but still just not AMAZED with any one foundation in particular. I am 41 (ok going to be 42 in 2 weeks, but still...lol) so i use a medium to full coverage to hide a few imperfections that come with age. Any suggestions??
Sorry I forgot to type a comment here. Mind that it was 7 AM and being half awake and didn't realized that the quote was already in a reply box. LOLOLOL. COFFEE TIME! Anyway, finding a HG foundation takes time. It's hard for me to recommend anything because we all have different skin types and it reacts differently. Its all about experimenting. If you want a flawless look like camera ready style; moisturizer (oil free and water based) to water based primer to water based foundation with a little bit of silicones. MAKE UP forever is awesome to age defy the skin plus (I don't remember if its SPF in it or not). Some people like SMASHBOX (It didn't work for me) Since BB and CC creams came out; I stopped wearing foundations. Thus being summer time, I'd stick to matte/oil free without not having to blot thru the day. Dr. Jart CC cream Detox OR SuperGoop CC cream (thanks birchbox for sending me those two samples and I love it!). I stopped using pressed AND loose powders because I am almost 40 and it made me to look older (I didn't put a lot). It creases into lines and made it more proding look. I've read so many advices on blogs and articles that after 40; give up pressed and loose powders and use MATTE/Oil free kinds to give off more a natural look. I suffer from dehydration/dry skin so it's been challenging to find a right water based foundation. So far; these products I mentioned above have not dried out my skin so far. There's water based primer. Good luck!

From the BB website:

I got the bananas & baobabs in my November box and it's so cute I cant bring myself to use it, but I do periodically open it just to smell it.  I would love to try the white chocolate one, I hear it's amazing.

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Kiehl's BB cream does WONDERS for me. I love it so much. I don't usually wear foundation, but when I do it's MUFE HD foundation. Please imagine the Dos Equis guy saying that.
rofl2.gif
This made me Lol on the bus! 

MUFE HD is my holy grail as well. I put it on with the big Tarte brush and use the MUFE primer. I am really interested in the new Benefit foundation though. I really hope they sample it again in August!

Originally Posted by lexxies22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry I forgot to type a comment here. Mind that it was 7 AM and being half awake and didn't realized that the quote was already in a reply box. LOLOLOL. COFFEE TIME!

Anyway, finding a HG foundation takes time. It's hard for me to recommend anything because we all have different skin types and it reacts differently. Its all about experimenting. If you want a flawless look like camera ready style; moisturizer (oil free and water based) to water based primer to water based foundation with a little bit of silicones. MAKE UP forever is awesome to age defy the skin plus (I don't remember if its SPF in it or not). Some people like SMASHBOX (It didn't work for me)

Since BB and CC creams came out; I stopped wearing foundations. Thus being summer time, I'd stick to matte/oil free without not having to blot thru the day. Dr. Jart CC cream Detox OR SuperGoop CC cream (thanks birchbox for sending me those two samples and I love it!). I stopped using pressed AND loose powders because I am almost 40 and it made me to look older (I didn't put a lot). It creases into lines and made it more proding look. I've read so many advices on blogs and articles that after 40; give up pressed and loose powders and use MATTE/Oil free kinds to give off more a natural look.

I suffer from dehydration/dry skin so it's been challenging to find a right water based foundation. So far; these products I mentioned above have not dried out my skin so far. There's water based primer. Good luck!
This.  I continue to be perplexed why so many people wear foundation on a daily basis, though as a dry skin girl I know I have a skewed perspective. I feel the same about powders, although I am currently in love with the Youngblood hydrating mineral perfecting powder Birchbox sent last month.  I never thought a powder could actually set my makeup and moisturize at the same time and it really does. 

Originally Posted by angienharry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your favorite foundation?

I'm on the lookout for a HG foundation.

My last two have been a Laura mercier powder and a sephora brand liquid. I have tried many but none that just wow me. I bought a beauty blender and I like it but still just not AMAZED with any one foundation in particular. I am 41 (ok going to be 42 in 2 weeks, but still...lol) so i use a medium to full coverage to hide a few imperfections that come with age. Any suggestions??
Happy EARLY Birthday, girlie!! :yesss:

Thanks for all the feedback about foundations, I try a new one each time and am just never wowed so when I head to sephora after work ill see what trouble I can get myself into with these suggestions. I have tried a bb cream by Lancôme and it was just meh to me. I will keep at it and find my HG eventually!! Thanks again😊

I hope they sample more benefit!! I agree, it's a perfect month for Shea Terra, I love their products!

I have a love/hate relationship with Benefit. The packaging is so whimsical and I'm drawn to it, but the majority of their products don't work well for me.

Originally Posted by evildrporkchop /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a love/hate relationship with Benefit. The packaging is so whimsical and I'm drawn to it, but the majority of their products don't work well for me.
dito.gif

Thanks for all the feedback about foundations, I try a new one each time and am just never wowed so when I head to sephora after work ill see what trouble I can get myself into with these suggestions. I have tried a bb cream by Lancôme and it was just meh to me. I will keep at it and find my HG eventually!! Thanks again😊
Have you looked into Skin79 BB cream at all? I bought a bunch of samples off eBay and I love it! I have really oily/shiny skin and this product has been amazing! I just got back in from errands in 95 degrees hot humid weather and I'm still sporting a matte finish. It's a miracle! I may post some of the samples in my trade list as I will be buying the full size product.

:dito:  
yup! I'm always disappointed yet I can't help but want to try more! Dying to try the new primer.. But none of their others have worked lol. I have all sorts of little benefit items! The two that I love though are Hoola bronzer and (surprisingly) the Triple Performing Facial emulsion. I hate that my combo skin loves the moisturizer and doesn't make me break out, I sampled a little thing of it in my BB.. I ended up buying the full size with code/points. I feel like I am flying through the 1.7 oz bottle, it absorbs so quickly for me, I have to use more than I normally would.

i have a teeny tiny pot of the shea terra vanilla burbon body cream... I absolutely adore it, and use it like a solid perfume since the smell is so amazing, and I don't want to run out. I have been saving it for winter, but busted it out today because of this thread, now I smell like dessert. nomnomnomnom

Back