Birchbox July 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by lexxies22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hubby says Balla doesn't work. There's another powder that works best and unscented. Its called Zeasorb-AF contains a small amt. of talc. Balla powder isn't good for you because it has talc powder based that causes cancer. Same with baby powder so I never use baby powder or any products that has talc in it.

My grandfather was a medical dr. He told my mom never use baby powder. He was a smart guy.

https://www.google.com/search?q=talc+cancer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari
Not all baby powder is made with talc. There is some Johnson and Johnson ones that are made of cornstarch.

I put talc wherever and use aluminum on my armpits, my basement has radon, I work in radiology, and I use samples at the store and wipe my counters off with water.  Oh yea, and I char my hot dogs (with nitrates) on the grill.  I'm probably going to die of everything eventually.

But yea, Johnson's has been making cornstarch powder for as long as I remember.  I actually use plain cornstarch from my pantry when I wear Spanx--ugh that stuff makes you sweat in the most unattractive places.

Originally Posted by norther /img/forum/go_quote.gif

laughs.gif
 I could definitely see them doing this.

I feel like I should start watching Suits again just for some inspiration on what to wear in a more formal business environment.. I start my systems engineering internship in a little over a week and I'm starting to freak out because 98% of my wardrobe was compiled by the metalhead in me - think skinny jeans, studs/chains, and lots of black haha. Inspiration + a shopping trip is desperately needed lol.
That's hilarious!  My partner is a nerdy metalhead  and works in a really straightlaced DoD job.  He didn't know how to dress when he started, so for the last 9 years I think he has worn the same exact khakis and dress pants in different colors (he buys new identical khakis and dress pants when the old ones wear out) and some variation of the same striped button down shirt.  His closet reminds me of a cartoon character, with the same outfit all in a row.  He says they don't expect much from fashion wise from computer engineers, haha.

Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's hilarious!  My partner is a nerdy metalhead  and works in a really straightlaced DoD job.  He didn't know how to dress when he started, so for the last 9 years I think he has worn the same exact khakis and dress pants in different colors (he buys new identical khakis and dress pants when the old ones wear out) and some variation of the same striped button down shirt.  His closet reminds me of a cartoon character, with the same outfit all in a row.  He says they don't expect much from fashion wise from computer engineers, haha.
Are you familiar with _The IT Crowd_, original British version?  Moss wears khakis, a short-sleved plaid button-up shirt, and a tie *every single day*.  Coincidentally, this is also how my brother dresses for work -- including the glasses -- ever since they got a new director who banned t-shirts with writing on them (even one that says, "The book was better."), although he had been dressing like that for years before the show existed.  The bro is a library circulation supervisor.  The only variety is in the colors of the plaids involved.  I think they both may even wear the same tie every day because, really, who pays attention to a tie on a dude wearing *plaid*?  I started to try to convince him to be Moss for Halloween one year, but that ended quickly because ( a ) he dresses like Moss in life, so no one would notice a change, and ( b ) not enough people are familiar enough with that show to make it a worthwhile costume.

(As a side note, if you're familiar with that video from this past Halloween where some dude turned a pumpkin into a Tetris game and it was demonstrated by a guy with a power button tattoo and three lines on his inner wrist dressed as Captain Hammer, that's the bro.  He didn't make the game, but one of his best friends did, so the bro, his wife in her bee costume, and their sons were the ones in the video showing that it's functional.)

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you familiar with _The IT Crowd_, original British version?  Moss wears khakis, a short-sleved plaid button-up shirt, and a tie *every single day*.  Coincidentally, this is also how my brother dresses for work -- including the glasses -- ever since they got a new director who banned t-shirts with writing on them (even one that says, "The book was better."), although he had been dressing like that for years before the show existed.  The bro is a library circulation supervisor.  The only variety is in the colors of the plaids involved.  I think they both may even wear the same tie every day because, really, who pays attention to a tie on a dude wearing *plaid*?  I started to try to convince him to be Moss for Halloween one year, but that ended quickly because ( a ) he dresses like Moss in life, so no one would notice a change, and ( b ) not enough people are familiar enough with that show to make it a worthwhile costume.

(As a side note, if you're familiar with that video from this past Halloween where some dude turned a pumpkin into a Tetris game and it was demonstrated by a guy with a power button tattoo and three lines on his inner wrist dressed as Captain Hammer, that's the bro.  He didn't make the game, but one of his best friends did, so the bro, his wife in her bee costume, and their sons were the ones in the video showing that it's functional.)
I ADORE The IT Crowd! and I would so marry Moss...in an instant....he's adorable
wub.gif

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ahaha I lived in England for a few years and watched it all the time--for some reason Netflix took it away when I tried to rewatch it here :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   I'm lucky mine has his hair sorted.  He goes to the same hair dresser every 3 weeks (at an actual salon, it's so cute) and tells her to make him look normal.  He took me shopping with him for opinions--what he wanted was opinions on striped dress shirts.  I got him to buy a white and grey striped sweater, it was totally out of his comfort zone.  White, whaaat?  

And Moss--Richard Ayode is super cute in real life, but Noel Fielding has my heart.

Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha I love that he actually buys identical replacements! Yeah, my dad is a programmer and he's really quiet but he's actually a punk rocker on the inside, he was even in a punk band when he was younger and they had their own radio show. My face when I found out: 
icon_eek.gif
 (which is the same face all my engineering friends have when they find out that I love metal - somehow my taste in clothes never tips them off haha).

Sometimes I'm seriously jealous that guys could wear the same few outfits week after week and no one would even notice/blink, but just the thought of wearing the same shirt twice in 2 weeks makes me cringe. I literally have only 2 pairs of dress pants, 1 pencil skirt, 3 button down shirts, and 1 blazer lol.

Originally Posted by Ann Tucci /img/forum/go_quote.gif

USA Network has tapped Birchbox to send its subscribers boxes filled with products chosen to help promote the series "Suits."

birchbox_Suits_Promo.jpg

Birchbox is sending subscribers a selection of products to promote USA Network's 'Suits'

The men's boxes will include GO247 shampoo and conditioner, Balla Powder and Lucky Tiger Lip Balm, among other products. There will also be partially-themed "Suits" boxes for women.

http://adage.com/article/media/usa-s-suits-birchbox-themed-box/242072/

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-suits-birchbox-items-revealed-203700966.html

Same cufflinks they sent in the Men's PS lux box in December. 

huh, the theme is nice but im pretty sure they've already sent out a lot of this, considered resubbing bf for the july box but then saw he'd already gotten almost everything there.

not a loss, the bf wasn't impressed by the man bb - he thought the samples were an afterthought.

now for the womens i'd be interested how they work in the semi-theme...

Yay! I absolutely love SUITS! Can't wait to see how this collab plays out - hopefully it's fab!

I am a programmer and work in the post-production field.. (We program the Blu-Rays and DVDs that all y'all enjoy.. yes world-wide).. and the outfits can get pretty interesting. We have the typical nerdy engineer (wears shirts with the Linux Penguins, zombies, star wars/trek or super heros) and then we have some that stick to black tee's and jeans.  Not a lot of girls around these parts.. which can be good and bad.  Of all the girls, I am the only one that even touches makeup it seems.. I stick out like a sore-thumb!

As far as a Mad Men box goes, that'd be swell!  (I just started Season 1 2 days ago and have only made it to episode 9 so no spoilers.. I won't even ask who Meagan is!!  I had no idea everyone cheated in the 50s.. like everyone.. actually kind of depresses me... )

** EDA:  One guy does like to wear sleeveless shirts and shorts.. I saw a guy in a wife beater and sweatshort cutoffs with flip flops.. and there was a girl who used to wear a sailor hat (yes the white kind with an anchor) on a regular basis.. I realize I said the clothing was interesting and then my explanations weren't interesting.. hahaha)

Originally Posted by Tiffany27la /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by tasertag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the SUITS theme was for the Men's Box. I'm interested to see what they come up with for women.
Every single time I look at this thread and see where someone has typed SUITS in all caps, my mind instantly converts that to SLUTS, and then it takes me a good three minutes to remember that the topic is actually a TV show, lol...WHY is this happening to me??!!

I kept reading sluts too so don't feel bad.  

I hope this doesn't mean we'll be seeing fashion tape or lash cards or something in the suit themed boxes... D:

I totally agree with a Mad Men box. I've only seen a few episodes and I find it kind of boring... but I love the clothes and makeup and hair in the show! July will be my 1 year and I remember I signed up because I saw the modcloth headband in a June box last year. 

Can't believe we're already heading into July.

Originally Posted by jannie135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope this doesn't mean we'll be seeing fashion tape or lash cards or something in the suit themed boxes... D:

I totally agree with a Mad Men box. I've only seen a few episodes and I find it kind of boring... but I love the clothes and makeup and hair in the show! July will be my 1 year and I remember I signed up because I saw the modcloth headband in a June box last year. 

hahah that's funny you say that...I signed up because of the modcloth headband too!

Originally Posted by jannie135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mad Men is certainly not a "thrilling storyline" type of show, it's a character study.

I watch it just for the clothes/makeup part though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back