Birchbox Man: The June boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can totally understand what you mean.  I'm feeling on the fence about this sub and I got the watch.  My husband is a successful GQ type of guy and I don't think he'd wear a sporty looking watch.  He doesn't even wear any watch as it is.  I think it's kind of a neat idea, with the being able to use it as a credit card, but what if you lose it?  And I really don't think any merchant here in Belize would take the watch as a form of payment. 
stupid.gif
 They usually have to manually swipe the cards, they don't have the ability to use that feature.  And the medical info?  Forget about it.  Great idea in theory, but wouldn't work here.  

So even with the supposedly "worth" $35 watch, it's not a great box for him.  I'd rather him have another pair of socks!  How much are these watches being sold for on Ebay?  Is it worth it for people to try to sell?  Mailing stuff is such a hassle for me most of the time, I'll probably just try to think of a younger, sportier guy who would appreciate a silicone watch to give it to, we have lots of friends.  I think the problem with this sub the same problem that women have with subs that send lipsticks, someone will absolutely love the bright red classic lipstick (me!) and others wouldn't be caught dead in it.  That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with red lipstick, just that it flatters some tones and personalities and pinks and nudes flatter others.  Who knows, maybe it'll be a Birchbox moment and he'll love it and wear it with his swim trunks and t shirts on a boat day.  Or it could come in some strange color and be even more different than I thought.  I'm with you about thinking the money could have been better spent on something else for him specifically.  There just aren't that many "ooh, I really want that!" men's 'beauty' and lifestyle type items that I can think of that makes it worth gambling the $20 a month.  I was kind of hoping for the Kerastase shampoo for me, so at least one thing would get used.  Maybe I will find someone who will love that watch and it'll make it worth it for me.  This month, at least.  I'm not sure I'll be keeping it for next month, I'm kind of 50/50 at this point.  Why am I always afraid that when I quit, the next month will be the best ever??  It's an addiction, I swear.  

Originally Posted by tweakabell /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup, I'm not happy. At this point I would have rather bought him a game for $40. I was really hoping they'd knock this out of the ballpark for $20 a month but I'm not feeling it. I hope others are happy with theirs but at this point I think I'm done with BBMan and if my BBWoman sucks this month I'm done with BB period.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For the person wondering how much these watches go on EBay - about retail price.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=rumbatime+vandam+go&_sacat=0
Hmm.  I wonder if any of them are actually selling?  I'll have to look into it.  Thanks for the link.  It also reminded me that the watches come in small, medium and large.  I wonder which sizes our boxes will get?  I hope some subscribers post their actual box contents so we can see the variety that they're sending out.

It seems like the completed listings are for ones that ran out without bidders.  Also, they are selling for quite a bit more in the U.K. market, and not just because of the currency exchange rate.  Perhaps some could be listed and sold to Ebay U.K.?  It would be great if some of our girls who aren't really into their watches could make some of their money back.  I think I'll have to see mine and feel it in my hand to really know what I think for sure, it depends on color, size, and fit.  It definitely is something new that I wouldn't purchase myself, thus a true sample/Birchbox experience.  I think it could be a good gift for the right guy and it makes me think about those cool women's watches that determine how long you exercise, your heart rate, all sorts of fancy, interesting functions, even beeping to remind you to get moving if you are too sedentary.  That might drive me crazy, though!

Ok, so I signed into my nd's account and he is getting the box with the watch. Im hoping it fits his wrist and that it is in a color he likes. I'm going to go for the 'three strikes' before cancelling considering the fact that I just changed the payment info from my card to his ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> overall, not super impressed with the service for men. For $20 I think 4 samples each month is a bit skimpy. I understand that they don't generate as much revenue from the men's shop buy $20 is a little hard to justify when your used to $10 for a much better quality box. Not to mention us women are usually the ones subbing for our men!!! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oops i meant my BF's account. Lol silly phone. Anyways, a $35 watch means nothing if they will never use the features provided, which btw cost extra!!!!!

Hubby is getting the box with a watch and another moisturizer. He says we are going to give it another month and if it doesn't work out well, then we will cancel. He still uses the soap and moisturizer from last months box so hopefully, he'll enjoy these too. I will probably give the watch to my 17 year old brother or a cousin.

I think we would have been happier with Box 1 or 5, he would have loved the cards, and I would have eaten the popcorn.  That watch was NOT a hit in our house.  It's going on ebay.  But he liked the other 3 samples. 

I see in the BB shop Lifestyle section, there are a power strip and wine bottle opener... now THOSE things would get used in our house!

I really wish the tracking information was actually accurate and reliable! Box was suppose to come today and nada.

He's getting a box without a watch and I was mad at first, but then I casually showed him the watch (There actually is a Rumba watch that I want) and he didn't even like it, so I'm okay with it.  Did everyone get socks last month? It almost makes me wish they'd pick something less expensive so everyone will get it instead of something that's a little bit more expensive that half the people get!

Originally Posted by cskeiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I see in the BB shop Lifestyle section, there are a power strip and wine bottle opener... now THOSE things would get used in our house!
True!  We can always use an extra power strip.  We have a wine bottle opener that's electric, about $20 at Costco but I'd be open to trying a different one or having a spare.  Isn't it funny that we're hoping for Lifestyle extras in our Birchbox Man boxes and most people hate getting them in their original Birchbox subs!  I don't mind them most of the time.  They introduced me to some teas that I otherwise wouldn't have tried.  I was actually a bit jealous of the popcorn, it sounds interesting and something that I wouldn't normally order but would love to try.  Which is what Birchbox does for me a lot of the time.  

So has anyone tried the popcorn?  Is it spicy?  That's the one thing that gave me pause.  Makes me intrigued, though.  

Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We received a cleanser instead of the shave gel listed on our card and on the site...emailed CS :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Called to get my account reinstated after I accidentally cancelled mine when I was cancelling the Men sub. I told her about receiving the anthony logistics cleanser instead of the anthony logistics shave gel..and she said there was a typo on the card and mistake on the site under out box contents. The correct item is the cleanser, not the shave gel. Bummer...he would have liked a shave gel :/ Also let her know after about a day, the display on our watch went crazy and is no longer working. She said she'd 'make a note of it and get back to me when they figure out how they are going to handle any problems with the watches'.

Oh well, good luck to you all but we are gonna call it quits on this one.

Originally Posted by sweetiegirlll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

True!  We can always use an extra power strip.  We have a wine bottle opener that's electric, about $20 at Costco but I'd be open to trying a different one or having a spare.  Isn't it funny that we're hoping for Lifestyle extras in our Birchbox Man boxes and most people hate getting them in their original Birchbox subs!  I don't mind them most of the time.  They introduced me to some teas that I otherwise wouldn't have tried.  I was actually a bit jealous of the popcorn, it sounds interesting and something that I wouldn't normally order but would love to try.  Which is what Birchbox does for me a lot of the time.  

So has anyone tried the popcorn?  Is it spicy?  That's the one thing that gave me pause.  Makes me intrigued, though.  
 Yes, my husband opened the popcorn right away... especially because my daughters wanted a taste.  They said there is a little cayenne kick at the end.  My husband liked it.  So, based on these first 2 boxes, I asked the hubby if he wanted to continue his sub; and if he thought it was worth the $20.  He said he likes it... I think he likes receiving little goodies once a month too! He's an awesome man and well worth $20 spent "frivolously" per month, so I guess we'll keep the sub for now...

My bf got his box yesterday! He really likes getting goodies in the mail like me lol. Im pretty sure he liked his box. He got the watch (were both excited about it) eshu shave gel, the star cologne, and was supposed to get Anthony Logistics cleanser but got the shave gel instead. I'm gonna email cs and let them know.....there's no way that was a typo! He got pretty large size of the eshu shave gel & there's no way they would have sent 2 different shave gels on purpose. Overall he was happy with it. I'm going to sign him up for the vita service for the watchtoday. It makes me feel better about him running alone at night. Oh & he got a blue watch- his fav color:)

Originally Posted by lovestarbrooke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He got the watch (were both excited about it) eshu shave gel, the star cologne, and was supposed to get Anthony Logistics cleanser but got the shave gel instead. I'm gonna email cs and let them know.....there's no way that was a typo! He got pretty large size of the eshu shave gel & there's no way they would have sent 2 different shave gels on purpose. 
I figure your box got the shave gel my box should have had, and my box got the cleanser your box should have had. Because, you're right, they wouldn't (or shouldn't) have put two shave gels in one box. But all they told me was it was a typo and didn't offer to send me the correctly stated sample. I'm just glad that hasn't happened in my Woman box lol

Originally Posted by cskeiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, my husband opened the popcorn right away... especially because my daughters wanted a taste.  They said there is a little cayenne kick at the end.  My husband liked it.  So, based on these first 2 boxes, I asked the hubby if he wanted to continue his sub; and if he thought it was worth the $20.  He said he likes it... I think he likes receiving little goodies once a month too! He's an awesome man and well worth $20 spent "frivolously" per month, so I guess we'll keep the sub for now...

Cool.  Awesome husbands deserve presents.  It really is fun to get things in the mail.  Everyone loves that.  Well, good mail, at least!

Originally Posted by kenstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my box yesterday. I'm a little bummed I didn't get the watch. Anyone want to sell theirs?  Here's my review of the June box:

http://notebookheavy.com/2012/05/31/birchbox-man-june-2012-box-review/
I just read your review, it's comforting in a weird way to hear the same complaints that we all have over the women's box coming from a man. Birchbox doesn't follow the profiles and the value of boxes varies far too widely.

Back