How many brands have you tried?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only been able to try BareMinerals and Physicians Formula because that's all I could afford. Well actually my boyfriend, but yeah. Mineral Makeup can get expensive! :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Bare escentuals- made me itch

Everyday minerals- didnt last on my oily skin

Lumiere- just wasnt for me

Oceanmist- didnt last the day

physicians formula- pretty good , just wanted something more natural

Signature- also made me itch

Lily Lolo- my hg

Smoky mountain minerals - another hg

Fyrinnae- liked it but not well enough to call it hg

I've tried 6.

Everyday Minerals This was my first mineral company that I ventured into. I liked the foundation at first, but as time went on realized that I bought a foundation color that was too light. I have some of the blushes and eyeshadows, but they're just eh. I hate the new website and haven't purchased anything from EDM since because the color swatches on the website is nothing like what it actually is.

Twisted Fayte I then found Twisted Fayte and I was in love with Heather's eyeshadow colors. Some of her colors were just amazing and her sample jars were so generous. I still have a lot of her sample pots that I purchased back in November when I made my first purchase. I have some of her foundations, but they were freebie sample pots that Heather put into my orders. They were okay, but nothing spectacular. I only ordered eyeshadows and lippies and blushes from her. Her lippie colors were fantastic too, but the scent was kind of annoying. I just couldn't wear her lippies. I do, however, wear her lip balm that has these irredescent sparkle to them when light hits it. They are so moisturizing. There is still a smell, but it goes away quickly.

Aromaleigh Twisted Fayte closed down so I ventured elsewhere and sampled some from this company. This is the first mineral company that I've sampled from that had samples in baggies. I was highly disappointed when I got my order. Some of the baggies had hardly anything in it for me to even sample with. Everything stuck to the sides of the bags. I compared all my bags and poured them each into pots and some had hardly any, while others were okay, but still not great. I never ordered from them again and this is why I shy away from companies that offer samples in baggies.

PureLuxe I found PureLuxe at another board and they had so many eyeshadow selections and their samples were in jars and they were only 1.00 each! I ordered a few e/s, a few blushes, and a few lippie samples. I liked their eyeshadows. I didn't like any of the blushes because all of them gave me this weird orangey sheen when I'd look at myself in the mirror in the light. I liked the lippies, but the staying power was not that great. I'd put it on and within less than half an hour it'd be gone.

LaurEss I didn't even intend to get any of the foundations from LaurEss but since she came out with her new Elemental and plus it was free, plus it was in jars I couldn't pass up. I'm glad I didn't pass it up because this foundation is the one for me! I love how sheer and light it feels on my skin and it evens out my skin like nothing else. I also love her eyeshadows and want to order more. I will put some more e/s in my cart when I go and buy my full size of the Elemental foundation. I still have have samples that I need to finish.

Lumiere I just put in an order last week for the samples of the foundations, blushes, and eyeshadow for 3.00 and it hasn't arrived yet. These are in sample baggies, but so many have raved about them that I decided to try them out. After my order she announced that the samples would be in jars so if I like any of the blushes I can finally try them out!

let's see:

bare minerals

lumiere

alima

everyday minerals

signature minerals

lauress

that's all but wow...i have a lot of samples at home.

BE

Meow

Monave

Signature

Lumiere

Oceanmist

Valerie

Mad

EDM

Loreal (not really MMU)

Avon (same as above)

11! 9 real MMU

In chronological order:

1. Lushbox (my first MMU! Bought a foundation sampler kit on etsy.com)

2. EDM: full kit with foundations, blush, e/s, fp, brushes.

3. Signature Minerals: foundation, fp

4. Meow: foundation, blushes. <--- HG

5. Lumiere VV & Luminesse: foundation, blushes, silk powder, kabuki <--- HG

6. Monave: foundation, fp, glow, lippies

7. Valerie: illuminizers

8. J.Lynne: foundation, blushes

9. Lauress: foundation

10. Milan: foundation

(This is scary. This all started in December - only 3 months ago!)

Here's my list:

EDM-foundation, blushes. Couldn't find a good match in foundation, but the L Winged Butter is ok in the summer. Apple and Nick Nack blush are nice though. Also the website colors are horrible-not true colors, just little blocks of color that are not accurate.

Alima-foundation and blush. Couldn't get a match in foundation here either, but excellent customer service and fast shipping.

J Lynne-Foundation, Illuminating Glow Powders, Blush-found a good match in foundation and her glows and blushes are gorgeous. Very generous samples in jars and xxcellent customer service.

Lauress-Foundation, lipgloss, flat top brush. Found a good match in foundation (original), lipgloss are HG and the flat top is great. Excellent packaging and customer service.

Aromaleigh-Tried Pure Cover and didn't like it much at all. Some lippies are nice (balms and convertible color). Sampled glow powders and they were too sparkly. Very fast shipping though.

Lumiere-Foundation (FF/VV and Lumi)-blush, bronzer, silk powder, oils. FF foundation is my HG, blushes are gorgeous, everything I've tried is really nice and high quality. Prices are unbelievable and shipping is included

Meow-FF foundation, blush, Cat Glow powder. This is another HG for me. I just love the silky, light feel, but excellent coverage of the FF foundation. Excellent packaging, customer service and fast shipping.

Milan-foundation, blush, oils, perfume oils. Just trying the foundation and so far very good, blushes are really nice/pigmented, perfume oils are amazing. Excellent customer service, fast shipping.

Melange-foundation, blush. Foundation is heavy coverage, but nice feeling on skin. Blush colors are a bit dark for me. Good customer service.

Signature-foundation, blush, finishing powder. Couldn't find a match in foundation, pretty blushes, nice FP. Excellent customer service

Monave-foundation, blush, lippies, finishing powder. CF foundation is another HG for me-long lasting, creamy coverage, blushes are pretty, lip glaze is one of my faves and Angel FP is another HG.

Valerie-CD foundation, glow powders, blush. Couldn't find a match in foundation, glow powders are wonderful (satin sun and centerfold), blushes are gorgeous.

I also tried BE in Sephora and promptly washed it off after a few minutes. Didn't like it at all-itchy, orangey and too shiny.

I've tried Monave (too yellow), Ocean Mist (too bright), Bare Escentuals (too cakey) and EDM (just right and cheap too)!

A ton!

BE: bad match, worst coverage, itchy

EDM: bad match, ok coverage, itchy

Alima: great match, good coverage, can be a bit heavy

PureLuxe: great match, ok coverage

TwistedFayte: very light coverage

Lumiere: ok match, ok coverage, oily fast

AubreyNicole: ok match, ok coverage

Signature: ok match, ok coverage, oily fast

OceanMist: ok match, great coverage, but has talc :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Physician's Formula: feels heavy, pretty good coverage, ok match

My favorites so far are Alima and Aubrey Nicole. My absolute favorite would be Ocean Mist but it has talc. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have Meow and Lauress on the way. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

ive tried about 6

alima-great coverage. no color match

ocean mist- great coverage. closest color match to my skin..but not perfet

EDM-execellent coverage. too shy for african americans

Joppa-awsome coverage! dark colors are too ashy n pink

Lumiere-good coverage. titanium dioxide is # 1 ingredient..so not for darker ladies!

cant remember others.

i really want to try the milan though

B] Forever Female[/b] foundations ok, but owner picked out colours for me, never got to find my own. finishing powder (rice based, which seems to make me look white)

EDM: made me itch

MAD: foundation ok, not sure. still trying to find colour match. not sure abt the satin glow. green corrector works well

LAURESS: elemental foundation - bit too sheer for me, not sure abotu the colour match

Forever Minerals: 2 ok, but not much of a colour range - matte finish

valerie beauty: haven't sampled extensively - only tried y3 (which seemed ok) and golden tan (waaay too dark)

MIneral Boutqiue: nice. can't decide if y2 or y3 is better.

aromaleigh : still sampling

mineral basics : still sampling

milan : wonderful coverage - i prefer medium to heavy. still sampling. gelle drops - genius! c/s WONDERFUL

Lumiere: waiting for foundations to arrive, but have sampled blush and e/s and very nice and sheer

Meow: waiting for foundations to arrive

Lure: waiting for foundations to arrive

alima: waiting for foundations to arrive - great c/s

that's it for now, but you should check out my 'wanting to sample' list. haha

Lumiere- Luminesse- is the worst m/u I've ever used (is terrible on me)

VV gives me little bumps all over?

FF I like this one a lot

Monave- The best so far. This is excellenceMeow- Do not care for either of the PP's but am waiting for FP to come in

Lauress Elemental- Love this

Signature- Too powdery and chalky like not a good color match

Alima- No

EDM- lasts only a hot minute! Looks bad at the end of the day. Too much blotting.

BE Foundation too itchy when perspiring but I love every other product from this company.

Makeup Junky Owner is a pro M/U artist and head artist for Miss Mass America pageant and Miss Teen Mass America pageants. The unique colors and finish of her shadows, blushes, and glosses reflect her professional level talents! Love the shadows, blushes, glosses.

A great plus is by emailing the owner she will color guide you to best suitable colors for your coloring. I was shocked when I received her recs, used them and excellent results.

Shadows -Fabulous finish and colors. A different mineral m/u finish than the usual.

Blushes- Fabulous finish and colors. A different mineral m/u finish than the usual.

Glosses-hand made. will design color and flavor to client specs.

Makeup Junky's products that I've used are different from any others that I've tried so far.

EDM Foundation is ok. Needs blotting to make it through the day. Pretty good if you find a good match. Like Apple blush and Countryside shadow for lip color.

Oceanmist I love this foundation, and love Manatee, Vanora, and Hammerhead shadow and blush colors. Wonderful customer service and the owner. Excellent prices that include shipping.

Valerie Love the finish of the Extra Cover foundation. Perfect. Eyeshadows are excellent as are the blushes and AOFC. Especially love smoulder as an eyeliner! Comparable to Makeup Junky in being separate from the rest in the shadow, blush, and AOFC category.

Southern Magnolia Minerals Foundation is very good if you can find a color match. I couldn't. Finishing powder is very good. Very good eye shadows with high pigmentation. Excellent customer service and good prices.

Melange Foundation is excellent. Really like this company but not much color selection.

Fyrrinnae Foundation is good for oilier skins. A bit on the dry side but actually good.

Signature Foundation was ok. Blushes and Shadows were good but not long lasting.

Monave Foundation is Exellent! Beautiful flawless natural finish. Blushes, finishing powder eyeshadows excellent too. Love everything about this companies products.

Lumiere FF Foundation is excellent. Lasts all day and is very natural looking. Eyeshadows are very good and a large selection. Blushes are exellent. Prices are excellent. One of my favorites! Customer Service is Excellent and the owner is a pleasure to deal with.

Bare Faced Minerals-Excellent foundation and multi use colors. Fantastic shadows and blushes. Owner is a gem!

Mad Minerals- regular sales and great prices! Excellent variety of multi use colors and jars are packed to the max! Love this one too.

JoppaFoundation is good for dry skin types. Powdery in container but applied its nice.

Cory For problematic or oily skin a good choice but something in the foundation has an odd odor that disappears once applied.

Alima- could not find a good color match.

Milan- great prices on perfume oil dupes and they carry dupes of MAC fluidlines at less expensive prices! Great all natural oil based soaps and some really excellent long lasting blushes, bronzers, and eye shadows. Favorites are Blazze, Pretty in Pink, and Blush Beige which is a dupe to MAC skinfinish Shimpagne and great as an AOFC. Includes great and generous samples with orders! Very fast and friendly customer service.

Pur Luxe- A wide asst of shadows, blushes, and foundation colors that for the most part are very good.

Pur Minerals- Good buildable coverage from a foundation that comes in a convenient compact. Excellent customer service. Does contain B.O. but didn't irritate my skin.

J.Lynne- very good AOFC and very large selection of them

Herbs of Grace-nice company with rapid service. Found no pre-made products that were suitable to my liking.

Lauress- Adore Elemental Foundation. This is my favorite foundation so far and to top Monave, Oceanmist, Meow,and Lumiere was no easy task but Elemental is it!

Meow- Tried the Perfect Puss Foundation and didn't like it. Too itchy! Tried the Flawless Feline Foundation and love it! This is in the top 3! Excellent. Love the shadows, liners, and blushes. Great customer service.

I haven't tried nearly as many as you ladies but I'm catching up.

I'll list the ones I really like for foundations.

Monave

Lumiere VV

Larenim

Ones that I didn't care for:

Aromaleigh

Sheer Cover

Jane Iredale

tnx newyorlatin! ur list really helps cus u've tried alot. im A.A. so i wanted to kno if the Lauress Elemental was ashy at all?

Hi

I'm Lisa & I'm new here. I noticed many have posted here had problem with itchiness and/or shine. Bismuth Oxychloride (a filler) can cause irritation in some & it does impart a certain shininess to the finish. Another culprit can be the brush you are using, sanitize often & when you clean your brushes, add a bit of your hair conditioner will help make brush nice & soft. Talc (another filler) will reduce the coverage. So avoid these ingredients if they bother you or you are not getting enough coverage. I used BE in the past & worked nicely for me. But I found I could get MMU for less $$ ;-) I love a good bargain! I own my own MMU site, so of course I tried & love my own line (not sure if I am supposed to say the name here) & I also tried Physician's Formula but it had other stuff in it & I didn't much care for it.

Let's see if I can remember all that I've tried

1. Bare Escentuals: difficult color match, made me look orangey at end of day

2. EDM: Found a color match, but didn't last long. Oily very quick.

3. Mineral Basics: Got off of ebay, didn't really care for it much. Faded, not enough coverage.

4. Southern Magnolia Minerals: Faded, didn't last through day.

5. European Bare Minerals: From ebay...the real BE was much better

6. Lumiere: VV too cakey(and I have oily skin) FF better, but colors made me look too pale(color was a perfect match, but I looked really pale for some reason), but I love the Silver Rose E/S!

7. Fyrinnae: Didn't like the foundation, tried E/S and wasn't that impressed

8. Pure Lux: Just tried E/S and liked them.

9. Ocean Mist: Great customer service! Great prices! Nice coverage, but has talc(Didn't stop me from buying the big kit),

10. Aubrey Nicole: great customer service! Good selection of colors. Nice coverage, found a color match, still get a little oily at end of day.

11. Joppa: Great coverage, I've had good customer service, hard to color match

12. Signature: Nice coverage, oily at end of day, no color match.

13. Lauress: So far my HG. Multiple color matches! Great soft coverage, doesn't fade or get super oily!

There may be more that I'm not remembering. If so I'll add them!

Back