Julep Maven: July 2012 discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put a polish soaked cotton ball on your fingers, wrap it in foil, let it sit for a minute, then pull it off. It's so easy and works really well. There are a lot of youtube videos on it. 
It's so much easier to just buy the tubs of acetone remove where you stick your finger in and wiggle it around. Less mess and waste than the foil.

Originally Posted by MakeupGalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's so much easier to just buy the tubs of acetone remove where you stick your finger in and wiggle it around. Less mess and waste than the foil.
Those things sting my fingers really bad. I usually skip the foil and just hold the cotton ball on my finger...works just the same as the foil method. 

Originally Posted by jac a /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i swear by zoya's remove+. it does the job so quick.
Seconded! Loooove Zoya's Remove+. Works so well, doesn't sting your skin or dry out your cuticles... it's perfect! In fact, I just got the 32oz refill bottle LOL.

just received my american beauty box and the colors are gorgeous! i love love love the america polish, so patriotic.  if anyone is not happy with their colors, i would glady trade with you 
wink.gif

What are people's opinions on their polish colors? I got It Girl and am not that crazy over my Daphne, since I do have the Zoya Bevin and about 3 other colors that are close, if not dupes lol..Still a gorgeous color, but I thought it'd be brighter? Otherwise, I am lurving the other colors and the pearl in Kate! Didn't expect it at all, just thought I'd be getting a matte white.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What are people's opinions on their polish colors? I got It Girl and am not that crazy over my Daphne, since I do have the Zoya Bevin and about 3 other colors that are close, if not dupes lol..Still a gorgeous color, but I thought it'd be brighter? Otherwise, I am lurving the other colors and the pearl in Kate! Didn't expect it at all, just thought I'd be getting a matte white.
i am so intrigued with kate, i passed on the two boxes that had it. now i am bummed i switched (i thought kate was a flat white). boo! i got the ab box with lynn and yumi. lynn is a satin girly blush color, beautiful. although lynn is a bit sheer but a must have for any polish collection. yumi is such a fun sparkly polish, so much prettier in person. ahhh, i am obsessed. is that bad?

Originally Posted by jac a /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i am so intrigued with kate, i passed on the two boxes that had it. now i am bummed i switched (i thought kate was a flat white). boo! i got the ab box with lynn and yumi. lynn is a satin girly blush color, beautiful. although lynn is a bit sheer but a must have for any polish collection. yumi is such a fun sparkly polish, so much prettier in person. ahhh, i am obsessed. is that bad?
Nah...lol is it silly I've planned my Independence Day mani/pedi? Lol..Kate on my toes and Michelle with America on my hands...or vice versa lol

Quote: Originally Posted by jac a /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nah...lol is it silly I've planned my Independence Day mani/pedi? Lol..Kate on my toes and Michelle with America on my hands...or vice versa lol Its a little silly, but sillyness makes life fun! who wants a life without a little sillyness??
hehe.gif

I loved my July box. The packaging, the colors (Classic w/twist), America AND it got to me sooner than in the past. I do like the feel of the gloss but Camella is soooo pale.

I'm usually Boho Glam but I opted for It Girl because I wasn't feeling the colors in my box. I got my It girl on Saturday and it's not love. Daphne is darker than I thought. Kate is just Kate I'm not impressed with the hint of shimmer and the America glitter consistency is a bit strange to me. I found myself wondering why I didn't skip again. I'm going to play with it tonight to see if I have a change of heart.. If not I'm going straight to the trade thread.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just put a polish soaked cotton ball on your fingers, wrap it in foil, let it sit for a minute, then pull it off. It's so easy and works really well. There are a lot of youtube videos on it. 
Thanks. I can always peel it off too like I do when I'm feeling OCD.

Can anyone comment on how similar Daphne is to Robin and/or Claire from last month? One of the main reasons I skipped is because I got Robin last month, and they just looked too similar. (I get that Daphne is more green, but still, the swatch picture didn't make it look like it was significantly different.)

I just joined Julep Maven today. Hopefully I can still get my lacquered paws on the July box. I used a coupon I found on retailmenot and got my first box for a penny. I'm so excited!!!

Wow, I just got my add-ons.  I had added O Canada and Georgia because the pictures and description of Georgia showed it as a cherry red with micro shimmer.  I thought it was odd because the other color in the Boho Glam box was a shimmery peach called Mischa, and the name Georgia is *much* more appropriate for a peach, but everything indicated that Georgia was similar to Zoya's Myrta.  It turns out that the color names were reversed, and Mischa was the cherry, and Georgia was in fact the peach.  Instead of contacting me and clarifying which one I actually wanted, however, they just sent both!  I'm not sure how I feel about either color, but that's a whole different issue related to my own weird nail polish color issues.

(Also, O Canada appeared to have white/silver glitter.  It's actually holographic/iridescent!  *Much* groovier than I had initially expected.  Now I just have to figure out what to use as the base for this one.)

ETA:  I normally hate red polish, and I'm one of the least patriotic people around, so I was very meh on the America polish, but it was free, and I'm not going to pass up free polish, especially since glitter seems to be easily traded.  I just put it on over Zoya Pinta to see what it would look like (I did finger guns:  Pinta as the base on all nails, and then America on pinky/ring/middle fingers and O Canada on index and thumb of my left hand, and the reverse on my right).  GLITTER BOMB LIKE WHOA.  I love it, although I'm not wild about how much top coat is required for glitters (an ongoing issue for me).  The blue and silver glitter pulls it back from being too classic for me, and it reminds me of Wonder Woman for some reason.  I really hope this is a sign of things to come.  I could go for a lot more polishes with the ultrafine glittery base like the red in this one.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, I just got my add-ons.  I had added O Canada and Georgia because the pictures and description of Georgia showed it as a cherry red with micro shimmer.  I thought it was odd because the other color in the Boho Glam box was a shimmery peach called Mischa, and the name Georgia is *much* more appropriate for a peach, but everything indicated that Georgia was similar to Zoya's Myrta.  It turns out that the color names were reversed, and Mischa was the cherry, and Georgia was in fact the peach.  Instead of contacting me and clarifying which one I actually wanted, however, they just sent both!  I'm not sure how I feel about either color, but that's a whole different issue related to my own weird nail polish color issues.

(Also, O Canada appeared to have white/silver glitter.  It's actually holographic/iridescent!  *Much* groovier than I had initially expected.  Now I just have to figure out what to use as the base for this one.)

Me too! I'm attracted to glitter polishes, and thought O Canada was just silver and red sparkles, but was pleasantly surprised to see it's actually a multi-color holographic that's not too overpowering. I also added on Georgia, thinking it was the red metallic, but was having reservations after hearing that was similar to Zoya's Myrta, which I had just gotten from their Pinterest promo.

Needless to say I was surprised when my add-ons showed up and there were three polishes in there. I don't mind that Mischa and Myrta are very similar, I love me metallic red polishes, so I'll probably go through both bottles. The pictures of Mischa don't really show the gold metallic shimmer very well, but it looks very shimmery in the bottle. I haven't tried it yet as I'm currently doing my 4th of July nails.

For those, I ended up using Marisa (which was one of the colors I received in the June Mystery Boxes, a dark blue metallic) layering America over the tips. I think it turned out well, and received a few compliments when I was out earlier. On a lark I layered O Canada over the blue and it's a subtle sparkle, which I like.

Have any of you ladies who ordered add-ons not received a shipping notice yet?  I got my July box a couple days ago but have yet to receive a shipping notice for my add-ons.  I'm a little concerned, as well as worried I'll receive the wrong color since I had added Mischa (thinking it was the peach color) as my add-on.  Did everyone who added Mischa get both Georgia and Mischa?

Originally Posted by FireNRice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have any of you ladies who ordered add-ons not received a shipping notice yet?  I got my July box a couple days ago but have yet to receive a shipping notice for my add-ons.  I'm a little concerned, as well as worried I'll receive the wrong color since I had added Mischa (thinking it was the peach color) as my add-on.  Did everyone who added Mischa get both Georgia and Mischa?
I received a notice last thurdays and it has yet to be updated. I'm on the West Coast, so I usually get everything very quickly from them. My box came super fast, but not the ad-ons.

Originally Posted by FireNRice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They included a card  in my box that makes me think that they did this for everyone who ordered one or the other (bolding theirs):

Dear Maven,

Our Mischa and Georgia nail colors were involved in a case of mistaken identity during their last photo shoot.  We've solved the case by including both colors in your July box, so share your spare with a girlfriend if you like!

SHINE ON.
As a side note, "shine on" is part of the refrain from the John Lennon song "Instant Karma" ("and we all shine on").  It's also where Stephen King got the title for _The Shining_.  This always amuses me whenever I see it used with this company.

Latest posts

Back